Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 or 18" rim... which is better?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my name is daniel ford
Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM

I running on 215/45/17 in the front and 235/40/17 at rear.

So I have alittle more oversteer...and same/better acceleration becaus eof the slightly lower gearing due to a little less diameter on the rear wheels.

But in this case you HAVE TO drop the car
Old 10-12-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was the one w/ 225...but I saw too many purty wheel combos @ S2K Days (Pete - yours were among the very nicest!), and was bitten w/ the temptation.

I'm going w/ 17" Volk CE28N's, which should be lighter if anything than the stock setup, and will still look good w/ no clearance issues.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:00 AM

Right now I am running 18's and I have some rubbing issues. I hope it will cleared up tomorrow as a board member and myself are going to roll my fenders.

My rubbing comes from the fact that I am lowered about 1.5" in the rear and 2" in the front (and my wheels have a +50 offset front and rear) . It looks sick and handles great. My alignment was set at -2.0 degrees and I may even go a little more aggressive. I also just installed my Konis so I am going to switch the setting to firm as well to reduce some bounce.

lalaspanda, if you are looking for "Bling" then 18 is the way to go. Just keep in mind there are many other mods associated with 18s (as I listed above). Lots of hidden costs that I did not know about when I bought the wheels (springs, shocks, alignments, fender rolling, etc...)

If you don't want all that hassle, then go 17 and it will still look nice!

Good luck in whatever you choose
Old 10-13-2003, 03:20 PM

seems 17" is the way to go. once again, thank you for all kind of great info and suggestions.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the rolling diameter is the same whether you run a 17" or an 18" it won't make any difference. With a little careful shopping you can have an 18" combo that is lighter and shorter than a 17".

There should be no difference in wheel/fender gap either so no raising or lowering should be required.

BUT check out the actual widths and diameters of the tires before you buy. The rated size seems to be a suggestion rather than an absolute.

For instance: BFG KDs are narrower and taller than the stock S0s.

Stock S02 front width is 7.1" with a diameter of 25"
Stock S02 rear width is 8.5" with a diameter of 24.8"

The BMW spec 235/40 X 18" S02 is 9.2" wide with a diameter of 25.3". (diameter not height) and yet the 245/40 X 18" S02 is only 7.7" wide with a diameter of 25.7".

On the 17" side the BFG KD 245/45 X 17" is only 7.5" wide but has a diameter of 25.7".
The Michelin Pilot Sport 245/45X 17" is an unknown width (read that as narrow) but has the same 25.7" diameter.
The Kumho 255/40 X 17" is narrow but has a diameter of 26.1".
The Goodyear F1 GS D3 245/40 and 245/45 X 17" are both 25.7"

See, it's not the rim diameter but the tire you put on it.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

David b,

You can't buy a set of front/rear 18" wheels/tires that match the stock set-up in terms of width, diameter, or weight. All of the appropriate 18" rear tires have a larger diameter than stock, all of the 18" front tires are wider than stock. That means your gear ratio will be taller than stock and you will have more front grip than stock. Both of those issues were serious enough to me to necessitate making changes to the car to retain the stock balance and feel.

You will be able to get very close to the stock specs using 17" tires. It is fairly easy to get a 17" set-up that will be lighter than the stock 16's.

In terms of appearance, 18" set-ups look ridiculous without lowering the car. Most people's eyes judge the balance between the tire sidewall height and the fender gap, therefore a low profile tire needs a small fender gap to look normal, while a tall sidewall can get away with a bigger gap and still look acceptable.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

s2ka is right. Before I installed my new 18's with the recommended tire sizes: 225/40/18 fronts, 255/35/18 rear, I put them side by side with my oem wheels. The 18's had a very noticable LARGER diameter, and were heavier, obviously.

The SSR Competition come in 18's and only weigh 16 lbs FYI.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the outside diameter of the tire is all that matters, not the diameter of the rim it doesn't matter what diameter rim you put inside the tire as long as the outside conforms to stock parameters. Of course I would prefer a little wider than stock.

And speaking of diameters, the diameter is the measurement of the circumference of the circle, not the height. A larger diameter makes very little difference in height of the tire.

Grip will be a factor of the actual width of the tire (as well as compound) and the overall balance will be a factor of the stagger. Many of the 16", 17" and 18" tires will be narrower and have less grip than the stock S02s so you have to shop carefully to get a set of tires with the same front to rear stagger and the same or larger widths. That is hard to to no matter what size you buy. You absolutely cannot go by posted sizes.

Weight is a factor of the tire and rim combo you buy. Basically cheap rims will be heavier than expensive rims. The same holds true on most tires as well - Falkens are heavy, S02s are light.

All of these things must be taken into consideration no matter whether you want 16", 17", 18" or 19". You can get lighter, heavier, wider or narrower in all sizes so it is not an 18" thing.

The look is a personal taste matter. I think 20" rims would look foolish, but you might not. I like the look of the 18" and don't think lowering is required any more than the car needs to be lowered for the 16". The gap will remain the same if the height of your tire and wheel combo is the same.

Simons2K if your 18" rims and tires were heavier and taller then you just didn't do your homework when you were shopping. Many 18" rims are lighter than the stock 16". Many 18" Volks and Racing Harts are in the 14-15# catagory, some are lighter than that even. Stock rims are 19# (I think)

It is true that a major change in the diameter of the tire will throw your speedo off and hurt the acceleration, but you are just as likely to get a larger diameter tire with a 16" tire as a 17" or 18" tire. All the 18" tires I have shopped have had less than a 2% difference in diameter than the stock. Now keep in mind I have shopped for much wider tires so I have shopped bigger sizes. There are any numer of 18" tires that have roughly the same width and diameter of the stock tire. Rated sizes mean nothing check to see the actual sizes.

Do a little shopping for 16" tires and see how many of them are taller or narrower than stock. Same problem. Many are heavier as well.

When I get home this evening I will weigh my 9.2" and my 10.2" wide 18" S02s. I don't have a clue what stock tires weigh, but I would expect these to weigh more since they are same construction, but wider. But with 5# less weight rims I will bet I end up with a combo that weighs less than stock!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

OK David, spec out a 18" package that has the same width, diameter and weight as stock.

Stock wheels:

Quick Reply: 17 or 18" rim... which is better?