Want to Buy Looking for something? Post requests for parts in this forum. WTB Only.

AP1 TIRES NEEDED

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 TIRES NEEDED

Hey people,

The tires on my AP1 are shot. They're the factory Bridgestone Potenza S02. I don't think i want to spend an arm and a leg getting another set of those since i'm not much of an aggressive driver nor do i track/race my car. I drive my car like an ordinary vehicle so i'm just seeking advice as to what tires you guys think might be most suitable for me while keeping the price within reason.

I am willing to take any advice you guys are willing to share with me.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,639 Posts

I'm with you, people all talk about various types of Bridgestones but they cost an arm and a leg, and they wear out quickly. They are good quality high performance tires but I don't see the benefit on an easy driven DD.

On my Ap1 I bought a set of BF Goodrich KDW to replace the Bridgestones and Yokohama SDrives that were on the car previously. The BF Goodrich tires were superior in all respects at 1/2 the price and with a higher treadwear rating. The BFG KDW are no longer produced but they do have replacement models now which I would try if I was in the market for tires - G-force Super sports ?. I would also like the Goodyear GT Asymetrics, I like the Asymetric tread pattern as you can rotate them side to side which you can't do with directional tires, and the Goodyear F-1 tires (400+ treadwear). I also bought a set of Falken Ziex 912's with asymetric tread and good treadwear for relatively low cost. They're a decent tire. I have some Dunlop Direzza Star specs that came with a set of ap2v3's that I recently bought, they are a very sticky tire at a decent price but I don't expect them to last very long, seem to be a fast wearing tire.

If it was me I'd go with a tire that has a higher tread wear rating 300-400 for street use, and I would be looking for an asymetric tread pattern if possible. If you can't find an asymetric tread tire the directionals are fine you just can't rotate them without dismounting the tire. Low tread wear rating (fast wearing) expensive tires for daily driving don't appeal to me, the S2k wears rear tires pretty quick which doesn't help. I would recommend a ZR rated tire if possible, the increased response and stronger sidewall are a nice feature. I personally avoid the ultra cheap chinese made tires that are being dumped into the market, they do not appeal to me irregardless of price, pure junk imo.

Go to Tirerack.com and compare tires in the tire size you are looking for, they don't sell Falken tires though. If you are interested in Falkens check out their webpage and you can locate a dealer in Ontario easily.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Thanks for the helpful info my man. Anyone familiar with falken ziex ze-502???
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 AM

Received 3,727 Likes on 2,639 Posts

came across these reviews, noise seems to be the biggest complaint, like some directional tires that can happen. http://www.carreview.com/mfr/falken/...9_1577crx.aspx
Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I would look at dunlop direzza dz 101