Vancouver Island Vancouver Island S2000 Enthusiasts

Short Ram or Cold Air intake

Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Ram or Cold Air intake

Hi there guys. What do u guys prefer, a shor ram or cold air. Also what brand would you choose?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PwetNgManok
Hi there guys. What do u guys prefer, a shor ram or cold air. Also what brand would you choose?
I'm not expert or even semi-expert but here's my take. There are a lot of cars out there with short pipe K&N filters that sit right in front of the engine. I've seen these on a lot of S2K's for sale. I think in general this style has fallen out of favour or maybe always was for those "in the know". The stock airbox keeps the hot air out which is pretty important (read up on heat soak). Some of the newer style's place the filter lower and further forward which is probably better. The more expensive aftermarket intakes are closed designs similar to the stock airbox but much more streamlined. I took my airbox cover off for a couple days and the sound is really great. I did find the performance to be a bit off though probably because the airbox with the cover off doesn't direct the airflow well at all. It sounded faster but VTEC seemed shorter.

I think pretty much all of them will improve the engine sound, some may even help performance, and most of them will make the engine bay look better =). So stick with the cold air, the short intakes will end up sucking up a lot of warm engine bay air.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jamesrdoe
Originally Posted by PwetNgManok' timestamp='1350143960' post='22079894
I'm not expert or even semi-expert but here's my take. There are a lot of cars out there with short pipe K&N filters that sit right in front of the engine. I've seen these on a lot of S2K's for sale. I think in general this style has fallen out of favour or maybe always was for those "in the know". The stock airbox keeps the hot air out which is pretty important (read up on heat soak). Some of the newer style's place the filter lower and further forward which is probably better. The more expensive aftermarket intakes are closed designs similar to the stock airbox but much more streamlined. I took my airbox cover off for a couple days and the sound is really great. I did find the performance to be a bit off though probably because the airbox with the cover off doesn't direct the airflow well at all. It sounded faster but VTEC seemed shorter.

I think pretty much all of them will improve the engine sound, some may even help performance, and most of them will make the engine bay look better =). So stick with the cold air, the short intakes will end up sucking up a lot of warm engine bay air.
well it depends where the tubing sits. if its sitting down by the engine then it will suck rain and stuff like that.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by PwetNgManok
Originally Posted by jamesrdoe' timestamp='1350167897' post='22080398
[quote name='PwetNgManok' timestamp='1350143960' post='22079894']

well it depends where the tubing sits. if its sitting down by the engine then it will suck rain and stuff like that.
[/quote]

mine sits by where my foglight would go, had to do some trimming, as long as u trim it fender liners properly it should pretty much cover the air filter. theres a drain plug too, but as long as u install properly and dont run over puddles u should be fine IMO
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 AM

ive got an aem v2 cold air with the dry flow filter for sale if your interested. my s2 was my daily then and never had problems with sucking water(it rains lots in victoria) im supercharged now so i have no use for it. call me or text me if you want to have a look at it. 2508890861

Michael
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Well i cant ryt now cos im in the middle of family problem. But im thinking of going on short ram k&n..
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by MIs2000
ive got an aem v2 cold air with the dry flow filter for sale if your interested. my s2 was my daily then and never had problems with sucking water(it rains lots in victoria) im supercharged now so i have no use for it. call me or text me if you want to have a look at it. 2508890861

Michael
mike, sell me the filter. lol what's the size anyways?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BooS2K
Originally Posted by MIs2000' timestamp='1350289995' post='22082552

Michael
mike, sell me the filter. lol what's the size anyways?
i dont know its in my parents basement with all my other stock parts. its what ever came with it. and no im not selling you the filter. its a sick filter so ill keep it unless someone wants the whole intake. i think you can get a brand new filter for like 60 bucks