Vancouver Island Vancouver Island S2000 Enthusiasts

1st VMSC Autox of the year Sunday Jan 24th

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, yesterday was a bit wet out! When it is wet like yesterday the key is definitely smoothness. I think I only used full throttle once or twice yesterday it was so slippery! The VTEC crossover was a little hairy and I had a couple pretty sideways moments that I don't want to repeat

I'll post some in car video when I get the chance to edit it and upload it tonight.

Hopefully next time a few more S2000s will be out competing. It really is the most fun you can have in the S with your clothes on The group of guys are all really friendly and super helpful to new drivers. They will take you for rides, and if you ask, they will often sit in with you and give pointers.

The first event of the spring series (date TBA) will be a 2 for 1 for newbies. I'll post details when the date is announced and the details are finalized.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM

My second best run of the day:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECR94TTQMFY [/media]

I forgot to start the camera for my fastest
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM

Damn, just saw this. I totally forgot about winter auto-x here (still used to Edmonton, where it doesn't start until May). Guess I'll have to wait until the March event. Looks a little dicey in the rain. I still haven't really run in the rain yet, besides in a sprinkle; just got lucky with weather so far.

I would really recommend this to anyone with an s2000, especially if it's dry out. Enjoy your car where it was meant to be enjoyed, and becomer a better driver. It's win-win.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by undeRwhelmed,Jan 31 2010, 09:47 AM
Damn, just saw this. I totally forgot about winter auto-x here (still used to Edmonton, where it doesn't start until May). Guess I'll have to wait until the March event. Looks a little dicey in the rain. I still haven't really run in the rain yet, besides in a sprinkle; just got lucky with weather so far.

I would really recommend this to anyone with an s2000, especially if it's dry out. Enjoy your car where it was meant to be enjoyed, and becomer a better driver. It's win-win.
OK if you try it I will..., gotta get myself a helmet.
Rich has been trying to get me out for a year now.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 AM

Just FYI the next 2 winter series events are on Sunday Feb 14th (this is for single and soon to be single men only ) and Sunday March 14th. I won't be able to make the Feb event since I will be in Vancouver for the Olympics, but I will likely be at the March event.

The rest of the season's schedule should be posted within the next few weeks, and I will post it here. Last year the first "spring series" event was a "newbie special". If a someone who has never done an autocross before comes out with a driver that has autocrossed before, the entry fee is 50% off for both of them. Last I heard they were planning on running the same special deal for the first spring series event this year, date TBA.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Jan 31 2010, 12:03 PM
OK if you try it I will..., gotta get myself a helmet.
Rich has been trying to get me out for a year now.
That's the spirit Dave! Depending on your head size, you may be able to borrow mine or my wife's (make sure you like it before you buy a new helmet). The club probably has loaners you can use as well (i believe most clubs have at least a few loaners). If you're nervous you can ride along with Richard or me (or both) before your runs and one of us would be happy to ride with you to help you navigate the course etc. Richard may be more beneficial to ride along with though; I think we both have quite a bit of experience in auto-x, but he has way more experience running at Western Speedway. Either way, I guarantee you will enjoy yourself.

I won't be able to go in February because of the Olympics either (going to an event the 13th and the 15th, so i'm guessing i'll be too worn down to go) but i will definately be attending the March event.

Dave, since you have so much contact with the other S2k guys on the island maybe you can recruit a few more owners to come out to the March event . I think it would be alot of fun to have a number of new guys do their first event together.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 PM

I'm working on a few things at the moment along those lines. A bit of forshadowing here but I am looking into putting on a tech day for owners on the Island. I am trying to arrange for a garage with a lift. Richard and Mike have stepped up and offered to go over some routine maintenance on our cars and it is kind of a do and learn type thing. I know there are guys out there that are comfortable with this sort of thing but there are those that would like to do it in a controlled environment first with someone that knows what they are doing.

Rich has offered to do a oil/trans/diff/brake fluid changes for us, so if you guys need some maintenance and would like to attend it should be good.

Hey it is a meet as well so we can all get together. Anyway more details to come as I work them out. Hope you guys are interested in this type of thing...,
Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Feb 2 2010, 09:06 PM

Rich has offered to do a oil/trans/diff/brake fluid changes for us, so if you guys need some maintenance and would like to attend it should be good.
Heh...I offered to give some helping directions for those who need it, I didn't say I'd do the work Doing my own is enough
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mavm86,Feb 2 2010, 09:33 PM
Heh...I offered to give some helping directions for those who need it, I didn't say I'd do the work Doing my own is enough
Well that is kind of what I meant ...,