Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Trip to Banff

Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Banff

So weather is looking pretty nice for the next few days. Looking to drive out to Banff if anyone else is also unemployed and interested.

The route is basically:
Leaving on Wednesday and stopping in Salmon Arm overnight.
Spending Thursday in Banff, returning to Salmon Arm overnight.
Friday is the drive home.

Lemme know if anyone is interested.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM

no can do, can't get the time off work sorry Jeremy.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't seem possible for me either. But I agree weather is at its best right now. Cool breeze, not too cold, not too hot.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 AM

So I returned from the trip last night. I ended up cutting it short because I had to come back to town for a job interview...the irony. lol

Anyhow just to debrief anyone who's interested. One the first day I drove from Van to Golden (just 140km outside of Banff). That was about 850km. I took the Coca Cola highway to Kamloops and then Trans Canada Highway to Golden. I left at about 11am and got there at around 7:30pm.

Second day was a longer trip. I went from Golden to Banff. I didn't even stop in Banff and drove right by it and headed north on Highway 93 to Jasper. Originally I wasn't going to go to Jasper but I thought what the hey. Might be fun. That was a 3.5 hr drive from Golden to Japser. Stopped off at Jasper for lunch at this Italian place called Little Miss Italia. It has my seal of approval for pasta. I had the veal parm served on spaghetti. The noodles is the best I've had. It had perfect elasticity and chewiness. After that it was back down to Kamloops on heading south on Highway 5. After arriving in Kamloops I took the wrong exit and ended up taking the Trans Canada Highway rather than the Coca Cola highway home which added an extra 60km or so to my trip. It doesn't sound like a lot but it was. Finally got home at 11pm last night.

All in all I was gone for 36hrs. My tripometer totaled just shy of 2000km. I think I ended up spending just over $200. 50 for food, 60 for the one motel, the rest in gas.

Interesting notes:
On highway I got about 12km per 1L. Assuming we have a 50L tank which I think we do, that would give 600km all highway. So why am I only getting 375 avg on mixed driving. Fuuuuuu

As for driving wise, all of the highways were good to drive on. I highlight of my drive was obviously Highway 93 going north from Banff to Jasper. That was the most scenic compared to the rest of the highways. The Coca Cola highway was pretty good going from Hope to Kamloops. Kamloops going to Banff was decent although nothing really special. The return home from Kamloops to Hope using the Trans Canada Highway was interesting. The beginning parts of it was nice and had some nice twistys and then towards the end had about 5 tunnels in total (for vtecing in). Otherwise it was pretty boring.

Even though I was in BC for the majority of the trip there were a lot of trailer parks which made me wonder if I was in Alberta lololol

And if you are Asian, you will stick out.

Lots of cow farmers just north of Kamloops. It made me think how inefficient it is that the A&W that everyone hangs out at on Friday night don't serve the beef that they locally produce.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice! I agree that some of the highways are pretty boring. Flat and straight. Hope the interview went well. Did you take lots of pictures?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup..., thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Pics or never happened... J..k Sounds like you had some good time alone, Driving sure does make good time to think things over. How is the s2000 for long-distance travel?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 AM

I have done 6+ hour drives in my S with my bride seat- its actually not that bad.

its fun as hell in some of the mountain passes
Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 AM

No speeding tickets?? Radar detector??
Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 AM

considering the mileage he got, i doubt there were any speeding tickets to worry about

Quick Reply: Trip to Banff