Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Share your track experience

Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 604toaster' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey that's my friend's MX5.

Like mentioned above, it's a good idea to have an instructor for your first track day, or any track day for that matter. Speaking from experience, veteran autox drivers are some of the most, um, problematic drivers on the track because they're usually loaded with confidence but lack real experience with the much higher speeds a proper road course allows.

Just make sure your car is in good mechanical shape, and try to have fun. It's not a race afterall, and it's always nice to be able to drive your car home yourself at the end of the day
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vik2000' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:03 PM
I can't heal-toe cuz my leg just doesn't twist that way.
well its not like u have to twist ur leg.. i use the left side of my foot to put pressure on the brake n right half for throttle.. if u practice u'll get a hang of it and eventially it becomes a muscle reflex
Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 604toaster' date='Jan 15 2009, 05:51 PM
I went to the VCMC Velocity1 driver education class.
http://www.vcmc.ca/velocity/
This class is for beginners and taught me how to:
1. race down a slalom
2. take a decreasing radius sweeping turn
3. go around a g-circle by using throttle control

#2 and #3 taught me how to react to g-forces and when my car would lose traction and how to save it from a spin. I found this very useful even for everyday driving.

There is a classroom session before you get in the driver seat.
They separated the fwd and rwd so we could learn from each other. I learned the most from having the instructor drive my car so I could monkey see monkey do. Edwen was my instructor (excellent btw).

You also get to learn how to work the cones.

My test&tune in the summer was really fun. I went with an experienced co-driver who taught me a lot on entry/exit and faster lines. It's good to have a codriver point out your mistakes after you go through your run.
Again, test&tunes gives you the most seat time and isn't competitive. I had the chance to ride in a rx8, 350z, GT2, M3, 240sx. Always interesting to see how other cars compare to ours. The rx8's engine is buttery smooth.

My 2nd test&tune was in the rain. It's fun to see how much you can gunn your car in the rain without spinning out. If you can master driving fast in the rain, you can be very competitive on wet race events.

Good times.
Good info Ken! So would you drive the Chuckanut differently now?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM

1. autox/track experience
I've been autocrossing with VCMC for 3 full seasons now, 2 of those were in a FWD econo-box, and this past season was the first in the S2000.

Ever since my first event I've been totally hooked, and have run every event I could!

I haven't done any track days yet. I would like to, but at this point in my life i'm not comfortable with the risk of writing off my only (valuable) vehicle on the track. Before you head to the track you need to be prepared to do that (because things do happen and there is no insurance coverage).

Down the road when I can afford a track only car like a Spec Miata or something, I'll probably start doing some track days, or W2W racing if I can afford to.

2. advice to beginners
Seat time is key!

The best way to get seat time and get started is with a school like VCMC's Velocity. This will start you down the right path, eliminating bad habits before they form, and you will have the opportunity to have a full day of practice.

Past that, walking the course and riding with experienced drivers helps a lot too. Also, don't be afraid to ask a senior driver to ride with you to give you some tips, most of the time they will be more than happy to ride along with you and give you a little bit of coaching.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

I believe we ran at the same test&tune event. I was the s2000 behind you. I believe you were running slicks. Your codriver had a GTI right?
I was the one running with ap1 wheels.

I completely agree with you. Seat time is key.
Before I touch the track, I want to attend a good performance track driving class first.
Does anyone have any experience with track classes?

See you this season.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM

Oregon PCA and BMW ACA Jointly announce
Spring Breakout 2009
Break the Winter Blues and kick off the new driving season with a completely new event in 2009, February 27th thru March 1st at Portland International Raceway. Our
Old 01-16-2009, 06:00 PM

If I can get my tires/wheels in time, I'll definitely sign up for the High Performance Driver Education class.
Thx for the info.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 AM

I think autox is a great place to start. Safe, good people, consequences are low if anything goes wrong ect. I started autox in 03 in a miata and I think I learned the most about racing in that year than any other since.

I did my 1st track day 3 years ago after getting my s2k and it was a lot of fun. I find it hard to choose between the two personally however. AutoX you get great competition, fighting for 0.01 of second is an adrenalin rush for sure. Going to track and trying to run down a faster car than you or running around with friends is an absolute blast.

They both left me wanting more though. AutoX has the competition I was looking for but as we all know seat time is low and I found the early mornings and long days draining. Track is fun and challenging but it is all just for fun, no straining for small increments of time.

I highly recommend starting with VCMC velocity, they have a great bunch of instructors a the community is really good. When you are confident in your car control spend a day at a track, start slow and learn as much as you can. No one is MS the 1st time out.

Oh and winter is a great time to brush up on the basics at gokarting TBC 4 life hahaha

rich
Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 604toaster' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:35 PM
I believe we ran at the same test&tune event. I was the s2000 behind you. I believe you were running slicks. Your codriver had a GTI right?
I was the one running with ap1 wheels.
Yeah that was me, I remember you now. We were running Hoosier R-compound tires.

Are you planning to do some events in 2009?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I didn't read most of the messages up there so hopefully this is not repetitive.

Hey...I went with takeda last year and I took the s2000 to the track for the first time. It was lots of fun...sooo here is a long ass message!

I had to take a mandatory in-class session with takeda/proformance driving/definitive driving and had to go as a FT (First-Timer) so I could get my certificate. We all had 4-25 minute sessions (60 somewhat cars in 4 difficulties). The instructor will go with you 1-4 times depending on your level of confidence you show them. The certificate entitles me to race in other classes now. I believe each school has there own certificate. So If I want to race with other schools, I need to go in as a first-timer again.

For my first time it cost me $230ish. That included my in-class + track time. Factor in your gas...which is one full tank. They mentioned heel/toe in the class room, but it's really no biggie. If you can't do it, you can learn on the track - they even encouraged it. Keep in mind this track event was an "educational" event, however passing is permitted on certain zones. People were going all out lol. Go to a session where they teach you: how to find apex, when to brake, gas out, counter steer, slip angle. If this is your first time, you are going to want to learn those (unless you already do!).

I've never autoX before, but I'm sure it works the same way as going to the track. It's all about experience/track time. There was an R35, 2-evo X's, 400+ hp audi S4's in my heat and slower cars were passing them. Mission is great because it's more technical. I heard Seattle is a lot more high speed. You can see how driver plays a big role though...

If you are going to drop your money on stuff and you are serious about getting into track, invest in some nice tires. Tires will knock off more seconds than coilovers

Good luck, I hope this helps you...even if you aren't serious about getting into track, it will definitely teach you how to drive your car properly, and change your attitude...

Here are some links:
http://www.definitivedriving.com/
http://www.proformanceracing.com/
http://www.getjdmcars.com/catalog/index.ph...roducts_id=1032

Time to whore out the 69 - nicky hayden represent lol...

Quick Reply: Share your track experience