Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Share your track experience

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Share your track experience

Hi all,

I can't wait until Autox starts again. For this year, I'm thinking about going to a few track events. I made this thread so we can all share our track experience and tips for beginners like me. In this format
1. autox/track experience
2. advice to beginners

I'll start

1. Been to 3 autox events. 1 autox class and 2 test&tunes. I liked the test&tunes because i wanted to get as much seat time to practice my driving. Haven't tried competitive racing yet.

2. Don't have any advice as I haven't been on the track yet. People have recommended to know how to heeltoe to get the most out of your experience at the track. I'm starting to get comfortable with heeltoe now. (makes you want to drive faster too)
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

No experience. Who put on the events that you went to Ken?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been to one with Mavm86 as a spectator only. Might give it a try this year but paranoid about my car...,
Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't heal-toe cuz my leg just doesn't twist that way.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I went to the VCMC Velocity1 driver education class.
http://www.vcmc.ca/velocity/
This class is for beginners and taught me how to:
1. race down a slalom
2. take a decreasing radius sweeping turn
3. go around a g-circle by using throttle control

#2 and #3 taught me how to react to g-forces and when my car would lose traction and how to save it from a spin. I found this very useful even for everyday driving.

There is a classroom session before you get in the driver seat.
They separated the fwd and rwd so we could learn from each other. I learned the most from having the instructor drive my car so I could monkey see monkey do. Edwen was my instructor (excellent btw).

You also get to learn how to work the cones.

My test&tune in the summer was really fun. I went with an experienced co-driver who taught me a lot on entry/exit and faster lines. It's good to have a codriver point out your mistakes after you go through your run.
Again, test&tunes gives you the most seat time and isn't competitive. I had the chance to ride in a rx8, 350z, GT2, M3, 240sx. Always interesting to see how other cars compare to ours. The rx8's engine is buttery smooth.

My 2nd test&tune was in the rain. It's fun to see how much you can gunn your car in the rain without spinning out. If you can master driving fast in the rain, you can be very competitive on wet race events.

Good times.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM

The guy next to me stole my thunder =P
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
SK

Originally Posted by 604toaster' date='Jan 15 2009, 06:02 PM
The guy next to me stole my thunder =P
Ken! Ask me for permission first next time you wanna post up pics of my car!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

My advice would be take a performance driver training course. I guarantee it will be the most seat time per dollar spent you will ever get in your life.

If you're on the island VMSC puts on a good course - I took it twice, just for the seat time

You'll learn more than anyone can tell you here not only about performance driving of a car but performance driving of your car from someone with a road racing license (at least that was the case when I took the course). You'll get both practical classroom training and a whole day at the track!

Have fun, be safe.

Mike
Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
BKL

Get a good set of sports pads and good brake fluid, and you are good to go.

First time out, it is a good idea to take a driving school. Teaches you the basics of driving safely around the track. There are schools at Mission and Pacific Raceway every season.

Drive safe, and have fun. Lapping and racing is one of the most fun things I have ever done.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 PM
BKL

Oh, and with regards to heel and toe. You don't need to know it to track first time out. It is a technique that you will eventually master from track driving. Heel and toe on the street and track are totally different. In my opinion, street heel and toe doesn't work on the track since you don't depress your brake pedal nearly as much on the street. In short, being able to heel and toe properly on the track, street is a piece of cake.

So in my opinion, it is really a techinique that can only be properly learned through circuit driving.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Share your track experience