Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

set of tires for vancouver weather?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdk
I'm currently running continental DW, non staggered.
I drove them to surrey on light snow and it seemed to hold up just fine. Of course you can't be too heavy on the throttle.
I would highly recommend them instead of all season tires as they provide better grip in the rain and in the dry. They have a much softer rubber compound so during hot summer they may burn up a bit faster than harder compound summer tires such as the Bridgestone Rivals or RS3s, however they should provide similar grip levels to Dunlop Star Specs. Which means a lot of fun carving canyons.
Agree on the DW instead of all seasons. But be very, very careful on snow.. Dedicated snow tires will be light years better.

Couple other notes: RS3's and Rivals aren't necessarily harder.. they're probably softer than the DW once up to their design temperature. They just handle heat better, so they don't melt away when pushed on hot days.

Also, Star Specs will be far faster than DW in the dry, but the DW should be a bit quicker in the wet. (I've owned Star Specs and RS3's, and driven a fair bit on DW)

Good points otherwise .

Continental DW have much more grip than DWS in the wet.. We found that out at autocross this winter, with Rod on the former and Ray on the latter
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM

I run two sets of OEM wheels.

Winter setup = Hankook Icebear W300

Summer setup = Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

It's hard to imagine driving safely in Vancouver all year round with summer tires and driving with all season tires just doesn't do the S any justice.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. For now, I'll learn the car first before I do anything as this is my first manual car since learning how to drive stick in high school ... 8 years ago lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come out to autocross this sunday if you have time. All of the info is on the other thread...it'll be a good way for you to learn how to handle the car. Plus, maybe legin_k can show you a few pointers, hes like yoda!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM
rdk

Yoda, he is.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 AM

Haha I'm not wrinkly enough. Or green. But if anyone knows where I can find a lightsaber...
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

^try walmart!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM

do i have the pay the $55 if i only want to come spectate? as i am now, i can just barely get from home to work, i still stall every now and then and hills are a challenge to say the least. my friend is teaching me this saturday so hopefully i'll be more comfortably on the road.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM
rdk

No spectate is free
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM

Didn't want to start a new tire thread...

I am looking to replace the star specs Z1s on my car. I am looking for a set of tires for the dry and for spirited driving - I dont see myself auto crossing in the near future. Leaning towards the zIIs OR the RE-11a's. Looking at the other threads, I heard that I should lean towards the RE-11as because they have less road noise, and they have better grip in the wet conditions (just in case i need it).

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: set of tires for vancouver weather?