Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

set of tires for vancouver weather?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default set of tires for vancouver weather?

hello everyone,

excited to join the community as a new s2k owner, coming from an acura tsx
i'd like to ask what everyone is using for tires. on my tsx i ran bridgestone potenza re960as p/p, i found them great as all season tires but definitely noticed them degrade as the km's went up. i'm looking at picking up a new set of wheels and would like some suggestions on tires.

the s2k will be my daily and i'll commute to work when we get snow. so i'd like for something that'll have good tread wear and performance... lol i wish
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at Continental DW or DWS.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

I run snow tires during the winter. Check out the wheels and tire section for opinions on tire. The new BFG Rival seems promising but is not recommended for the snow. A/S tires would be okay for our climate but the car won't be as fun to drive.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Very happy with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They are excellent in the rain. They came on the car though so I can't compare them with much but I didn't find much if any loss of traction when the weather changed and I thought I would.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM

I'd definitely recommend running separate summer and winter tires. The S2000 came with summer tires from the factory, and all season tires are just too compromised. "Summer" tires can be used for probably 11 months of the year, here in Vancouver.

If you're getting new wheels you can hang on to the old ones - keep the winters on them and just swap when there's ice or snow in the forecast.

The Continental ExtremeContact DW seems to be a popular choice. Very good grip in the wet, decent tread wear. Don't confuse them with the all season DWS, though. Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, or their replacements, the new Direzza Z2, could be another good choice. They're biased more towards high grip and competition use, though, with faster tread wear. If you are more concerned about tread wear than grip, you'll have to ask someone else.. I'm not too familiar with those tires
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM

I have Continental DWS (all season) on my AP2. These tires are pretty good in the rain and cold winter weather, doesn't take too long to heat up. My set just has about 1/3 of life left in them and I'm noticing a significant drop in grip compare to before though. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
rdk

I'm currently running continental DW, non staggered.
I drove them to surrey on light snow and it seemed to hold up just fine. Of course you can't be too heavy on the throttle.
I would highly recommend them instead of all season tires as they provide better grip in the rain and in the dry. They have a much softer rubber compound so during hot summer they may burn up a bit faster than harder compound summer tires such as the Bridgestone Rivals or RS3s, however they should provide similar grip levels to Dunlop Star Specs. Which means a lot of fun carving canyons.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM

I'm happy with my Continental DWS for my winter wheels. They aren't very fun in the dry but great in the rain/cold. It makes such a huge difference in heavy rain to have a nice set of all seasons.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

^since u have a set of winter wheels why not just get snow tires?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM

I tend to drive my car down to Seattle often and I'd rather not put a bunch of miles on expensive snow tires.

All seasons are usually better in the rain which is more common than snow around here.

Quick Reply: set of tires for vancouver weather?