Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

S2kVancouver about the oil and filter we were discussing on sunday

Old 07-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2kVancouver about the oil and filter we were discussing on sunday

After looking in the white pages I found the dealer melwood jager, 987-9309 on 14th and Lonsdale, North Van. was the cheapest. I think $8.45/liter of 5W30 XL-7500 syn. oil and $18.35/oil filter (SDF20). Other amsoil dealers want >$12/L of oil and >$22 for the filter. I read through some comparison tests done in the past that were posted on the forum. It indicated the Amsoil filter was the best stock size filter on a prelude (same filter as on our car). The Fram type filter was the worst. For the oil check
www.amsoil.com
Old 07-08-2003, 10:48 AM

This is posted by Darwin to Rick.
Correction prices 5w30 XL-7500 oil- $8.15/L, SDF20 filter- $18.10
Old 07-08-2003, 01:25 PM

thx for impo
Old 07-08-2003, 05:14 PM

Wow 18.20 for an oil filter. I'll go for HAMP filter & Motul 300v myself on my next oil change. Gonna do it next Saturday I guess.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:25 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but how will a more expensive oil filter help?
Old 07-08-2003, 09:20 PM

Well I heard good stuff on amsoil's product too. But I think OE Honda filter and HAMP will works great with a way lower price. But it's a personal preference so.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by navybeaN
Pardon my ignorance, but how will a more expensive oil filter help?
There was a test done on the Prelude forum on the different oil filters (same filters as Prelude) available for our cars. To summarize the cars manufactured in Japan came with a Japanese made oil filter (Japanese filters are only available in Japan, A&J bring them in but are out of stock) which is better than the U.S. made one. The U.S made one is better than the Canadian made one (made by fram). The test reveals cars made outside of Japan have filters made in the country of manufacture. It said besides the japanese made filter the best filter made was the Amsoil. The mobil 1, Hamp, and a few others were good also. I could only find mobil 1 filters online from Newyork but it would be too costly to bring it in. The test said the fram filter media was poor, construction was poor, bypass valve had a rubber seal(oil eats the rubber then no seal results in a constant flow of unfiltered oil), and some of the filter media leaves the filter. It's obvious where the media is going to end up. I thought it better to be safe and get a good oil filter. Filter test http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Darwin
Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by spoonek4
Wow 18.20 for an oil filter. I'll go for HAMP filter & Motul 300v myself on my next oil change. Gonna do it next Saturday I guess.
I like Motul 300v also but I don't think I can buy it for $8.15/L. I never checked with A&J but Drivers edge quoted me >$12/L. Mopac charges >$12/L for Redline

Darwin
Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 PM

Mopac's sales person knows NOTHING and their price are sky high. So I don't like to go there at all. I guess I go to Lordco most often for normal automotive parts.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:20 PM

I guess depends on the quantity u buy for the oil and places then. If they protect well and performs great I don't mind to invest a bit more money on it. At least I don't have to worry about the oil breaking down and losing oil pressure n lubrication under hard drive.

Lots of my friends in HK use Motul's product now. It's not really a JDM bandwagon thing but they worked well for quite some of the race teams in Japan and SE Asia. They don't break down as easy as other oil. And tend to have really stable performance in places as hot as SE Asia, even in extreme racing condition during the summer in Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

Quick Reply: S2kVancouver about the oil and filter we were discussing on sunday