Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Question about updating audio

Old 04-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a pretty custom setup, I haven't seen/heard of anybody with a similar setup before. I've got a 10" sub in the spare tire area with a customized box [Just barely.9 cu/ft air-space] and an amp rack built into the tool well with a glass viewing window. The bass definitely doesn't hit as hard as other setups, but the bass fills the cabin more than most other setups. Unfortunately, that means when I have the top down, I may as well have no sub. I'm probably switching to a Mugen hardtop after the summer anyways though.

I've found that the toolwell sub-box hits good [the most common setup], but you don't get as much bass fill in your cabin. If you've only got so much money to spend, or you're going to build in steps, definitely do a new headunit and speakers first. As others have mentioned, it's always garbage in, garbage out so get a good base going with a new deck and components.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelus1243,Apr 30 2009, 03:46 PM
I've got a 10" sub in the spare tire area with a customized box [Just barely.9 cu/ft air-space]
Let me guess. A basic rectangular box type sealed box with the sub kinda facing up?

Never though about a setup like that, but I like the idea of the amp in the cubby plexiglassed off. Hmmm....
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Yeah I can't wait to hear your guys set-ups, i'm getting excited, just waiting on my next paycheck Still have no idea which HU im going to get, seems like Alpine? don't know why, i've just been reading up and seems a lot of people are satisfied with theirs.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Koski,Apr 30 2009, 06:57 PM
Still have no idea which HU im going to get, seems like Alpine? don't know why, i've just been reading up and seems a lot of people are satisfied with theirs.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM

For HU's, decide what your budget will be. Try to decide what features you have to have and what features would be nice "extra's".

I like my Alpine HU's, but I think even the newer higher end stuff wasn't as good as some of the older mid/higher level HU's.

Most decks play MP3's, some of the newer decks play MP4's. Do you need DVD playback? DVD screen? Remote control is a must if you want to retain the DCI controls.
Front and rear pre-outs? Do you need a sub-pre out? 4V pre-outs?

Standard pop out face plate or do you want/need a mechanical fold down faceplate? This is important because of where the HU goes. With the newer screens, you want to be able to adjust the angle of the faceplate to improve visability of the screen.

USB input? Ipod controls?

Do you plan on running amp(s) in the future?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy, Apr 30 2009, 04:10 PM
Let me guess. A basic rectangular box type sealed box with the sub kinda facing up?
Never though about a setup like that, but I like the idea of the amp in the cubby plexiglassed off. Hmmm....
You got it! The hardest part was just making all the little cuts to make sure the box would fit in the with all the little nooks and crannies back there, and still get enough air space. I've gotta say though, I"m definitely happiest with the look of the amps in the toolwell. Everybody who's seen it loves the window. Adds a very nice touch to it. And I've got a actual piece of tempered glass in there. Looks WAAAAYYY better than plexiglass.

I agree on with aznguy on the HU thing as well. Figure out what features and such you want, as well as budget, then start looking. You definitely can't go wrong with a lot of the Alpine stuff. I also like some older Pioneer decks.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM

thanks guys, yeah I'm taking into account all of what Edwen said, aswell as everyones imput
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
BC2

Just finish installing a custom subwoofer box.Copy this box from the web.The head unit is stock,useing a high lev to low level apt so I can have RCA output.Door speaker are alpine 6.5, subwooofer 10 cadence ,sub amp altec lancing 2x70,audio control two way crossover.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 AM

Where to put the amp depends on how big the amp is, and what you plan on doing with the system.

If you want something basic, then a simple amp rack to replace the spare tire will work. Under the driver/passenger seat will also work.
Or bolting it down in the trunk or ontop/on the side of the sub enclosure.

You mentioned you want to save some trunk space, how much trunk space do you want? At the very least, expect to lose the cubby in the trunk, which will mean you will lose your tool kit and have no place to put your tire in case you have a flat and want to change to the spare tire.

How loud do you want the sub to be?

Because of the size of the trunk in the S, I recommend a sealed enclosure as opposed to a ported enclosure. Perhaps get an amp rack made up that can be bolted down to where the spare tire would go, and run a fiberglassed box in the cubby. You ran run either 2 10's or a single bigger sub. There *might* be enough room to run 2 12's, but I would have to double check the space and volume in the cubby to confirm.
thanks! I'll probably get my system done in steps. Is it the case that changing the woofers along with getting an amp will make the biggest difference at first?

And what are some respectable brands for woofers and amps? JL seems to be popular ...is this for good reason or is it just overhyped/overmarketed?

I've got a pretty custom setup, I haven't seen/heard of anybody with a similar setup before. I've got a 10" sub in the spare tire area with a customized box [Just barely.9 cu/ft air-space] and an amp rack built into the tool well with a glass viewing window. The bass definitely doesn't hit as hard as other setups, but the bass fills the cabin more than most other setups. Unfortunately, that means when I have the top down, I may as well have no sub. I'm probably switching to a Mugen hardtop after the summer anyways though.

I've found that the toolwell sub-box hits good [the most common setup], but you don't get as much bass fill in your cabin. If you've only got so much money to spend, or you're going to build in steps, definitely do a new headunit and speakers first. As others have mentioned, it's always garbage in, garbage out so get a good base going with a new deck and components.
lets see some pics
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by trancehead,May 5 2009, 05:37 AM
thanks! I'll probably get my system done in steps. Is it the case that changing the woofers along with getting an amp will make the biggest difference at first?

And what are some respectable brands for woofers and amps? JL seems to be popular ...is this for good reason or is it just overhyped/overmarketed?
What do you intend on doing with your system?
If you just want more bass, then yes. An amp and subs will make the most difference. If you want sound clarity, or care about accurate sound, then you need to take a different approach.

Depending on what you want, you will need to look at different speakers.
Tweeters give you high end frequencies while woofers will produce mid to lower frequencies. You will need a sub woofer to produce the really low frequencies.

JL's are good, but like all brands, they have their higher end line and a lower end line.

So again, it all depends on what you are after.

Quick Reply: Question about updating audio