Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Question about updating audio

Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Apr 29 2009, 10:16 AM
Back to the talk about audio.
If you hear most of the sound from the rear, then there is something wrong with the settings. For one thing, your ears are facing forward.

If Cam is an audio Nazi, can I be one of his minions?

A good HU with a minimum 4 V pre-out and a 4V amp will make a good set of components sound really good.
Just make sure to budget a little bit for sound deadening to get rid of some of the rattles in the doors.
look at where the speakers are in the pic... I have mine about 75% to the front and the rear speakers are still loud... Its basically behind ur head right so its gonna be louder because they are not by ur feet....
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by chad86,Apr 29 2009, 12:56 PM
look at where the speakers are in the pic... I have mine about 75% to the front and the rear speakers are still loud... Its basically behind ur head right so its gonna be louder because they are not by ur feet....
I realized that, but the fact remains the same.

You have your settings set up wrong. Try turning the fader more to the front get more front imaging.

Imaging watching tv. All the sound is from the front, with a little bit of sound from the rear so as it does not see "hollow" for lack of a better term.

But, hey if you like the way it sounds, more power to you.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ss04,Apr 28 2009, 10:34 PM
Guys that's what you DON'T want. Rear fills are supposed to be just that... "fill". It should be at least 90% biased towards your front speakers.

When they mix albums in the studio, do you think they have speakers behind them? No. They have two studio monitors set up in front of them. Even in 5.1 setups, you'll notice that not much sound comes from the rears at all. I probably sound like an audio nazi here I guess some prefer to have sound coming from behind them as well

Taylor, I should let you have a listen to my front components when we get together at another meet and you can hear for yourself that you don't really need any rears at all... even with the top down
im a super car audio noob here...

but did you place your amp in the trunk along with the sub ss04? i want to upgrade my sound system as well but don't want to sacrifice alot in trunk space
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put your amp wherever you want it.

Behind the seat, spare tire well, in the trunk...depends on the size too.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Where to put the amp depends on how big the amp is, and what you plan on doing with the system.

If you want something basic, then a simple amp rack to replace the spare tire will work. Under the driver/passenger seat will also work.
Or bolting it down in the trunk or ontop/on the side of the sub enclosure.

You mentioned you want to save some trunk space, how much trunk space do you want? At the very least, expect to lose the cubby in the trunk, which will mean you will lose your tool kit and have no place to put your tire in case you have a flat and want to change to the spare tire.

How loud do you want the sub to be?

Because of the size of the trunk in the S, I recommend a sealed enclosure as opposed to a ported enclosure. Perhaps get an amp rack made up that can be bolted down to where the spare tire would go, and run a fiberglassed box in the cubby. You ran run either 2 10's or a single bigger sub. There *might* be enough room to run 2 12's, but I would have to double check the space and volume in the cubby to confirm.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM

awsome guys, thanks for all the info, and yes HU first
Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with everything SumAznGuy said.

I managed to fit a 15" in a ported enclosure in the trunk, but I lost most of my trunk space hehe.

And how much space you need for the enclosure depends completely on the sub. Some require larger enclosures than others. Also, some don't work as well in ported as they do in sealed, and vice versa.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trancehead,Apr 29 2009, 02:54 PM
but did you place your amp in the trunk along with the sub ss04?
yeah they both went in the trunk. My amp is too long and large to fit anywhere else in the S.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ss04, i want to hear your sub.... I have been curious to how they sound in an S and was told to shy away.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chow-bot,Apr 29 2009, 06:37 PM
ss04, i want to hear your sub.... I have been curious to how they sound in an S and was told to shy away.
Because of the S being a convertable, it is harder to get the same amount of sound in the S than it is in other cars.

That being said, it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Not all subs are equal, so it might take some trial and error to get the *right* setup. But if you want something quick and cheap, there are plenty of people who have subs in their S's.

Quick Reply: Question about updating audio