Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Question about updating audio

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about updating audio

Hoy,

Has anyone upgraded their audio at all in the S? I'm wondering if upgrading the head unit as well as the speakers would be good enough. I'd like to put a sub and 2 more speakers behind the seats or on the head rest...I'm thinking that would be a lot of money though.

Any info would be appreciated, like which speakers/deck or a place to get the work done. thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
.F1

I can tell you one thing. My car has the headrest speakers (OEM) and I can't even imagine how bad it would be without them. So if anything, I'd get those first.

I recommend SoundsGood, located in Coquitlam.

http://www.soundsgoodauto.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Depending on who you ask, rear speakers is not that important. Rear speakers in the S's case is just rear fill.

Deck install is quite straight forward. Lots of instructions online about how to do it. If you need, I can give you detailed instructions over PM.

Replacing stock speakers is a good idea. A quality set of seperates and proper insulation and enough clean power will get really good sound, assuming the windows and top are up.

If you have to run a sub, there are lots of options for our cars as well.

But I highly recommend setting up a budget and see what you can get with that budget, but try to aim for the higher end equipment if sound is really important to you. Certain years decks have different internals, so not all the higher end newer stuff is as good as the older gear. But a deck that reproduces a clearer sound will help a lot. If you do not want an external amp, then a higher end deck that produces good power is a better idea.

For speakers, look at some of the better stuff. Different speakers work better in different cars so you might want to look around to see what other people are using. One of our biggest issues is lack of space in the doors and cabin because of it being a convertable.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has speakers upgraded, stock headunit. So far so good, i can listen to the music even on the highway, top down, not so much above 4K+. I thought about switching headunits, but i don't usually like going half ass on audio, so lets say headunit($300) + side controls($100) = $400 for just something basic without speakers....with speakers it'll run you about 600-700, add an amp and add another 200-300. and so on...

IMHO...the s2k isn't too good with the audio unless you have a hardtop, so its really hard to "perfect" the sound sytem
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Apr 28 2009, 07:45 PM
Depending on who you ask, rear speakers is not that important. Rear speakers in the S's case is just rear fill.

Deck install is quite straight forward. Lots of instructions online about how to do it. If you need, I can give you detailed instructions over PM.

Replacing stock speakers is a good idea. A quality set of seperates and proper insulation and enough clean power will get really good sound, assuming the windows and top are up.

If you have to run a sub, there are lots of options for our cars as well.

But I highly recommend setting up a budget and see what you can get with that budget, but try to aim for the higher end equipment if sound is really important to you. Certain years decks have different internals, so not all the higher end newer stuff is as good as the older gear. But a deck that reproduces a clearer sound will help a lot. If you do not want an external amp, then a higher end deck that produces good power is a better idea.

For speakers, look at some of the better stuff. Different speakers work better in different cars so you might want to look around to see what other people are using. One of our biggest issues is lack of space in the doors and cabin because of it being a convertable.

I actually got rear speaker mounts of ebay....they go right in the middle of the headrest... they fit awesome, sound awesome and were reasonably cheap... they fit 6 inch rounds and can have a tweeter installed as well.. They look OEM as well... everyone that sits in my car notices them and loves the sound... I can't find a link or else i would post one..... I also took the spare tire out and put a sub in there.. Only if u have roadside assistance tho.... It only takes a small sub to add that little bit of bass that the s lacks...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM

hm great info guys, thanks a lot edwen! yeah I'm prob setting my budget at 500-600 for now...build it up slowly. I'll do my research and make sure everything will work well with everything.

I forgot that I need the side control (harness?)

Futureshop/bestbuy an okay place to buy the gear? I guess searching for the best price is always a good idea.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upraded the HU mainly because my S did not come with one,

I went with an alpine ida x305 its ipod only and works great.

Main reason i went with my HU is that i did not want to deal with CD's in the S

I was looking into upgrading the speakers as well, but decided not too, i was going to go with components powered by an amp but when i factored in the money i realized i would rather spend the money on looks and power then speakers.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by chad86,Apr 28 2009, 09:07 PM

I actually got rear speaker mounts of ebay....they go right in the middle of the headrest... they fit awesome, sound awesome and were reasonably cheap... they fit 6 inch rounds and can have a tweeter installed as well.. They look OEM as well... everyone that sits in my car notices them and loves the sound... I can't find a link or else i would post one..... I also took the spare tire out and put a sub in there.. Only if u have roadside assistance tho.... It only takes a small sub to add that little bit of bass that the s lacks...
nice, do you have any pictures of your set up? sub preferably
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM

no i don`t have any pics on hand...... I can try and get some up tomorrow...... I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box as well and used the tire mounting bolt to hold the sub securely in place... ( changed it to a shorter bolt obviously.) I have never posted pics on here.. Do I have to be a member to post pics
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM

nice good thinking on the mounting bolt. no, to post pictures you just need a hosting site, i used www.photobucket.com quick/easy to make an account

Quick Reply: Question about updating audio