Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

New speeding and drinking laws.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
jav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ that's cool. then the stupid people will take a bigger hit now by not obeying the law. so in turn i think people will cool down on the drinking. i agree that places with licenses that sell alcohol will lose some money, but maybe people will start to be more responsible and get a designated driver or some safe ride home.

well, i sort of assumed it was something like full coverage, my bad. part coverage for track would be nice. and the crash by 'accident'.. well, more of the cars that are written off, icbc gives you the market value for the cars worth and usually its more than what the car is Actually worth. so people can take advantage. there are probably other examples that you can take advantage of but that was the main one i was thinking.

edit: i meant for track, not the drinking driving law
Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ you don't have to have an accidental 'crash' at the track, just hang outside a pub till about 11, wait for some people to come out and get into thier car, then follow them out to the highway and run into them...,
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ss04,Sep 21 2010, 08:24 PM
Start Rant/

Cash grabs, cash grabs, cash grabs.

Now I'm afraid to even go out to dinner with a friend, have a beer, and drive home. People that have a blood alcohol level of 0.05-0.08 are not killing people or causing accidents. Talk to some doctors and nurses, they will tell you the same. They are targeting the WRONG people. A few of you guys have already mentioned this...

As for the speeding law. I think there is a time and place. I was nailed on the mary hill bypass for excessive speeding on a beautiful Sunday morning with no other traffic in sight (Yes I was going 110 in a 70 zone, an area that should at least be 80km/h IMO) . To think that I could have lost my car to that is absurd. What is even more ironic, is that when guys like us actually take our cars to the track, there is NO ICBC COVERAGE. This makes a whole lot of sense right? ICBC please get your heads out of your asses.

I have been out with friends and had a beer MANY times and driven home. I have NEVER driven drunk or buzzed. I have been accident free for 11 years, and speed quite often (with obvious discretion)

It may sound immature or inappropriate, but F**K you ICBC.

/End Rant
I agree with ss04 all the way. If I go out for dinner or to party I always take a cab no matter what just in case I decide have more than a couple. I have tried keys please before and ended up waiting more than 2 hours for a ride. Pain in butt.Plus I would not let someone else drive my S. But if I stop to have a beer or 2 on my way from work now I will probably be toast if I get pulled over even though I am fully capable of driving. Yes there are people that do stupid things and have accidents at less than .08 but there are also people that don't have alcohol in there systems that have those exact same accidents. CASH GRAB !!!!!!! As far as speeding there is a time and place as quote... noone else on the road wide open no side streets and no wet road! I have driven 28 years and never caused an accident, except once going under speed limit and someone else did something stupid in front of me but because no witness and I did hit them in the rear it was automatically my fault. I wish I had a camera mounted on the front of my car.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM

It also really depends on the cop. for us "asians" (lol) our face gets red easily and when i got pulled over once i told them i had one long island ice tea which is fine. your technically allowed one glass of beer. he saw my face was red and judging it, he told me to step out of the car and blow the thing BECAUSE my face was red. so it doesnt really matter if u broke the law or not. its more dependable on if you show that u drank or not. he almost arrested me for saying " see, i only had one gglass and its still under, my face gets red easy".
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM

The funny thing is, sure the cop writes you a ticket for lets say $200

you decide to fight the ticket in court, 9 out of 10 times you will lose and have to pay the $200.

but, that $200 you pay only covers your ticket. you do not pay the court fees which are a lot more than $200.

sure, tickets are cash grabs, the majority of them are stupid. why should i get busted for speeding a few km over the speed limit but the guy that just flew by me 2 minutes ago gets off scotch free?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jav,Sep 21 2010, 09:43 PM
^ that's cool. then the stupid people will take a bigger hit now by not obeying the law. so in turn i think people will cool down on the drinking. i agree that places with licenses that sell alcohol will lose some money, but maybe people will start to be more responsible and get a designated driver or some safe ride home.

well, i sort of assumed it was something like full coverage, my bad. part coverage for track would be nice. and the crash by 'accident'.. well, more of the cars that are written off, icbc gives you the market value for the cars worth and usually its more than what the car is Actually worth. so people can take advantage. there are probably other examples that you can take advantage of but that was the main one i was thinking.

edit: i meant for track, not the drinking driving law
Sorry, I'm not following your logic.

Let's say for instance on the insurance part. If you intentionally crash your car, your rates and deductable will go up, just like it would if you purposely crash your car on public streets and claim your insurance.

As for stupid people, even with the old laws, people caught DUI were getting their cars impounded, licenses suspended, and even jail time for repeat offenders but some of these people have a problem and cannot control themselves without counselling. There are lots of people who drive without a valid license so a suspended license really isn't going to deter them.

What these laws do is keep the responsible people like us from doing things that we normally don't do already.

Is 0.05 BA really that bad? Does it really affect your judgement by that much?

What about driving tired? Or after taking medication?

As fas as cash grab, don't forget all the money that is collected by third parties (tow company). I would think that the government and them would have some sort of agreement where they are getting some of the revenue from the tow and impound fees. "If" people wisened up and stopped drinking and driving or speeding, then they will move onto the next flavour of the month and change the law on something else to generate revenue.

In the end, it's just another tax the government is imposing on us.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM

^ I agree with your statement about the responsible people..., the ones that follow the law are not the problem here as we will just go along with it. I mean most of us would think twice about having 6 beers and driving our cars but lets face it a lot would not. They aren't thinking that 'this isn't responsible of me', they are thinking 'how can I get home without getting caught'.

It is the repeat offenders, the ones way over .05 (or .08 for that matter), that are killing people, that don't get the message..., all this does is ties up the system with good responsible people that either made a mistake or didn't realize that they were over the .05 limit..., So now 1 out of 10 court cases is for the repeat offenders or those caught and really drunk while the rest are punishing the minor offences and the people who are not 'really' the threat.

That is my issue with it. If I know I'm over the legal limit and I drive, then shame on me..., but if I am on the edge and I don't know, then I don't think that is the same thing at all. I am nowhere near the threat that the guy that is twice the legal limit to drive or more, but I get treated the same.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by esstwothousand,Sep 21 2010, 03:28 PM
i don't think that's true. they must give you a test to issue the ticket and must give you a test and have it analyzed at a lab. otherwise, it won't hold up in court.

the only thing they could have given you was probably "driving without consideration" or "reckless driving"
Cop can give a 24 hour regardless as far as I know, You dont have to be drunk or high. I had a cop pull me over before and was going to tow my car and gave me a 24 hour cause my eyes were red and I didn't do very well at the visual tests he gave me. ( I just finished a 12 hour shift and was exhausted ) the cop ended up letting us go after he took my friend in the car and questioned him about about my story and it checked out so he let us go in the end. ( reality the cop has hating cause he saw two you guys drive by in a brand new prelude sh type, it was super obvious ) This was ten years ago but this has allways been the case as far as I know becuase its not the only time its happened to me or that ive been told by a cop that they can do that.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:27 PM

thats because preludes are best broh
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chow-bot,Sep 22 2010, 01:27 PM
thats because preludes are best broh
I know right. It was my friend that picked up on it. He said he was looking at the car while I was walking the line.lol

Quick Reply: New speeding and drinking laws.