Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

New speeding and drinking laws.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speeding and drinking laws.

How much is too much when it comes to impairment?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
jav

Depends how well you take your liquor.. Everyone is different.

Over 40km/h the speed limit starting of yesterday, police have the ability to impound your car! and possible suspension.

Edit: Source for driving over 40km/h.
http://www.vancouversun.com/drivers+speed+...4713/story.html

And source for impaired driving:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/09/21/n...s-in-effect.htm
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Use this as a guide.
Speed 40+ over the speed limit.
$368-483 ticket right away.
Car is towed away. $100-200
Car is impounded for 30 days. 30 x storage fee (eg $75) = $2250
Driver points premium $320/yr for 3 years = $960
Speeding = 3 points on your driving record. Anything over 4 points = $$$ to ICBC for DPP.

Said and done, that one instance of going 90 km/h in a 50 zone just cost you $3678 or more over 3 years. Second offence will hurt more as the impound time is 60 days, and expect a letter from the SuperNintendo about your poor driving record.

As for drinking, 0.05 to 0.079 BA is an instant 3 day suspension and impoundment. Over 0.08 is a 7 day suspension and impoundment.

Think about it before you drink and drive or go for a quick speed run.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gott say though, although I in no way condone drinking and driving, to have that type of fine imposed and you don't even know if your breaking the law or not..., it should be clear either drinking and driving is illegal or it isn't. No room for ambiguity. I have no idea how many drinks I can have before I have broken the law and to me that is an issue. We need a way to test ourselves so we know when we are breaking the law instead of finding out when it is too late.

There should be testing stations in every drinking establishment, and then if you drive you know you were breaking the law and then nail them to the wall. That is my two cents.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DDonovan,Sep 21 2010, 02:03 PM
I gott say though, although I in no way condone drinking and driving, to have that type of fine imposed and you don't even know if your breaking the law or not..., it should be clear either drinking and driving is illegal or it isn't. No room for ambiguity. I have no idea how many drinks I can have before I have broken the law and to me that is an issue. We need a way to test ourselves so we know when we are breaking the law instead of finding out when it is too late.

There should be testing stations in every drinking establishment, and then if you drive you know you were breaking the law and then nail them to the wall. That is my two cents.
^ Agreed lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Speeding fines are another tax grab! I don't believe in speeding in school zones, park zones or in the middle of neighbourhoods but on the freeway just about everyone speeds. If you do the speed limit people will either tailgate you and or give you the finger as they go by half the time. Driving across Patullo bridge the speed limit is 50k but I can't remember the last time that I drove across without someone flying past doing at least 20-30k over the limit even if I was a bit over. It is not safe to go the speed limit across there. You need to drive with the flow of traffic, the only rule to follow is don't drive directly beside someone especially in any of the corners since most people can't stay in their own lanes. As far as .05 being impaired that is just f...... ridiculous. We all better watch out until someone takes some of these cases to court to see if they will or willnot stand up.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by notbadd,Sep 21 2010, 02:25 PM
Speeding fines are another tax grab! I don't believe in speeding in school zones, park zones or in the middle of neighbourhoods but on the freeway just about everyone speeds. If you do the speed limit people will either tailgate you and or give you the finger as they go by half the time. Driving across Patullo bridge the speed limit is 50k but I can't remember the last time that I drove across without someone flying past doing at least 20-30k over the limit even if I was a bit over. It is not safe to go the speed limit across there. You need to drive with the flow of traffic, the only rule to follow is don't drive directly beside someone especially in any of the corners since most people can't stay in their own lanes. As far as .05 being impaired that is just f...... ridiculous. We all better watch out until someone takes some of these cases to court to see if they will or willnot stand up.
Agree 100% and with you too dave.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM

Here is a link to abreathalyzer you can buy it has great ratings. I looked into it a while back and these are DOT approved and don't need to be sent off to be re calibrated you just change the sensor module.http://alcomate.net/index.php/model-al7000.html
People with .05 alcohol in their system aren't the ones that they should go after. The ones that do the stupid stuff and kill people are usually well over .08 mostly around .2 from all I read.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 PM

.05 is pretty much you cant drive if you have any for average size people. Police have a right to say you are impared even without giving you any test is the scary part in all of this. It happened to me more than once in my younger years. It's bs
Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by praisedprod,Sep 21 2010, 03:01 PM
.05 is pretty much you cant drive if you have any for average size people. Police have a right to say you are impared even without giving you any test is the scary part in all of this. It happened to me more than once in my younger years. It's bs
i don't think that's true. they must give you a test to issue the ticket and must give you a test and have it analyzed at a lab. otherwise, it won't hold up in court.

the only thing they could have given you was probably "driving without consideration" or "reckless driving"

Quick Reply: New speeding and drinking laws.