Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

might be moving to vancouver...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might be moving to vancouver...

I'm currently entertaining a really good job opportunity that'll require me to move from LA to Vancouver. I've been up to the city before so I know what I'm getting myself into but I'm trying to figure out whether or not its worth it to move to Canada. First of all, I've heard Canadian taxes are really high and the cost of living in Vancouver is really high as well. Is this true? How will taxes for a US citizen working in Canada work? Do I need to file on both sides?

What are some approximate rent prices for like a nice 1 BR apartment/loft. What are some good, hip areas to live in that are close to downtown?

Also, I'm sure some of you on here moved from the US so how does moving up there work? Can I just rent a truck and drive up through the border?

How about bringing my car up? Is it just simply taking it to the Canadian equivalent of the DMV and registering the car? Any additional taxes, etc.?

I know its a bunch of questions but I'm really struggling with this because its a great job opportunity.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Although I moved here not long ago myself, I can't answer a lot of your questions because I came from Australia and flew in with a suitecase holding all my belongings.

As for the living costs though, i've found it's all relative. Depending on your industry & job description of course, if you're in a professional career type job hopefully a higher pay will compensate higher living costs. How much you want to spend on accomodation is purely a matter of how close you want to be to the action. Anywhere downtown Vancouver will be expensive, but you get what you pay for generally.

Sorry I can't be more help - I suggest googling some of them in regards to driving over the border with your belongings etc, i'm sure there's plenty of info out there.

Good luck & maybe see you soon
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM

It really depends on what tax bracket you're in. If you're making 60k or so, you'll probably pay around 15k in income taxes. It might be different if you're an American citizen though, my buddy is Canadian and works down in LA and pays both taxes.

Yaletown, Cambie (between the bridge and 25th), Kitsilano and the West End are all really nice areas. For a one bedroom it really varies, If you'd like an upscale apartment it's 1500+. If you're living in a decent suite sometimes you can get away with 900-1300 depending on location. You should try and live close to where you work so you don't have to commute. It's no where near as bad as LA to commute, but our transit sucks unless you live and work on a skytrain route.

I don't think it's too hard to bring your car up, I think you might just have to get it insured up here but don't quote me on that.

Best of luck! Vancouver's a great place to live in the summer and winter (every other season it's raining).
Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 AM

i think the best person to answer your question would be richee, just wait for him to chime in
Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree richee would be a good resource. I am pretty sure though as well that if you stay in the US and work in Canada that you have to file in both countries. I concidered the same thing but it was about 10 years ago. I was going to live in Ontario and work in Michigan and I was told I had to file in both countries.

Oh and if you do take the job and come up here, Welcome!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't quote me on this but I believe you will need to file tax returns in both Canada and the US; but b/c of our trade agreements and such you will be given tax credits/breaks for the taxes that was paid in Canada, therefore you most likely will not end up paying any US taxes (b/c generally taxes are higher in Canada than in the US). For 2010 the highest combined (Federal + Provincial) marginal tax rate in BC was 43.7% for people with an annual income over $127,021.

If you take the job, will it be a temporary move or a permanent move?

Read the following for driver licencing (yes, licencing not licensing! ) info: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/from-us

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you are right Alex, that is the way it was explained to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah, if you want a "nice" 1 bedroom or loft somewhere at or near downtown, you are looking at 1200-1500 easy...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this link from H&R Block:

Taxes for US citizens in Canada

As far as the cost of living goes, you will find that Housing can be pricey if you are planning on buying. If you want to be close to the action,consider Yale Town or the former Olympic Village on False Creek. It really depends on what you are looking for when it comes to suggesting where to live. So many of our different neighbourhoods have really cool and unique personalities.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with the migration! I think Vancouver is a great place except for the job market, but since that is out of your concern if you were to move here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm curious what kind of job opportunity you got here that would make you travel all the way from LA .

Quick Reply: might be moving to vancouver...