Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Got busted for no front plate today

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe if you want to be legal completely, you are to not modify the plate in ANY way.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viNz86,Jul 13 2009, 08:14 AM
fold or cut the plate up so it's smaller?
Both illegal. Remember, you don't own the plate, ICBC does.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 AM

I received a no front plate ticket yesterday at Stanley Park. I need to figure out a way to mount it on too.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Jul 13 2009, 08:09 AM
I believe if you want to be legal completely, you are to not modify the plate in ANY way.

ronac's way of mounting the front license plate is illegal as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So does anyone know what the true requirements are for a completely legal front plate?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

Someone can probably clarify if my way of mounting is right or not?

Anyway, I myself hate front license plate as well but we're really playing with the cops here if we try to modify it in some way to make it look better. It's all about chance whether you get caught or not, and your luck whether you get a nice cop or a shitty one. Some ppl probably have no front license plate and never get caught. I just choose to mount it so I will never get any trouble from popo.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM

When someone was gauging an interested on sfu car forum about sticker license plate, someone wrote this. It's true I guess.

That is illegal.

It's better off getting pulled over w/o a plate, than a forged plate, or duplicate, or a plate that is located in an incorrect manner.

The whole reason is not for douche legal dick swing, but because the law states, only BC license issued plates are to be mounted on a BC registered vehicle.

Fail. Not interested. Not being a closed-minded ****, but just trying to take a step back, and taking a look at this at a real, legal issue.
Another quote from another member

NOT LEGAL. Straight from the cops mouth. If a plate is not attached to the front of the vehicle as is required under the BC motor vehicle act, they have the right to impound the vehicle if you cannot produce the plate. You are by law REQUIRED to attach the plate to the front of your vehicle in an unmodified way (no cutting it down or bending/ folding it). By putting on a sticker you are knowingly and directly contradicting the law. When you insure your vehicle, the insurance agent who is then a representative for ICBC, tells you to put one plate on each end of the vehicle. My insurance agent actually verified that it had been done. You will get a much heavier ticket if you end up with a pissed off cop. Also, it either gives them a reason to pull you over and hit you with something, or if you're already pulled over, its one more thing to tack on.
from ICBC:
Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.
Basically there's nothing much can be done to improve the look without breaking the law. Whether one wants to risk or not is up to his/her level of risk-aversion.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss04,Jul 13 2009, 09:19 AM
So does anyone know what the true requirements are for a completely legal front plate?
Here Cam.

Read this:

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freesi...#part_division3

Whole table of contents:
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freesi...ns/26_58_00.htm
Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran without a plate for almost seven years and never got a ticket. I recently zip tied it to the grill as I was heading down south. Since I use the nexus lane, I wanted to make sure there were absolutely no problems with the car (the nexus lane requirements are quite strict). I trimmed about four millimeters off the top and bottom of the plate and drilled two holes on each side of the plate to thread the zip ties through. It is easy enough to remove if I want and my neighbours (both cops) said that it was fine. They said the only way I could run into a problem is if the cop was REALLY interested in giving me a ticket (I.E. If I was being really rude or obnoxious).
Old 07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

According to this:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/front-licen...te-t579072.html

Any modifications to the plate is illegal (the mod is supposedly a police officer).

Quick Reply: Got busted for no front plate today