Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Coilovers

Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pss9 are wicked
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Apr 23 2009, 11:15 AM
Dennis Grant is a really well known autoX'er and he is basically the father of Street Mod class for autoX.

I've never run the BCR stuff, but I have run Ksport coil-overs and after going to a set of race prepped Koni's, I now see the difference.
Do you put your shocks on a Dyno to make sure there are no variances before installing?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k,Apr 23 2009, 01:44 PM
Do you put your shocks on a Dyno to make sure there are no variances before installing?
I didn't. But I had Koni rebuild and re-vavle mine, so I "hope" they did.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

undeRwhelmed makes some good points. Most budget parts get good reviews because people who buy them have lower standards to begin with. I've had quite a bit of experience with aftermarket suspension, and realistically if you want looks, go with springs. Otherwise, be prepared to spend a good amount of money if you want decent coilovers. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Koni shocks though, but that's just my opinion based on experiences.

Most budget coilovers give the impression of good handling due to their stiffness but the dampening performance just isn't there. This is true thether they have 16 or 400 clicks on that little knob.

Then again, I've come to realize that people can buy whatever that makes them happy with the least amount of money, hence the abundance of choices on the market. I for the longest time could not understand why people bought cheap parts for nice cars that are equipped with decent stuff from the factory, but hey, if these people can be just as happy spending 1500 on a set of budget suspension setup compared to a good set that costs 3000+, it almost seems to make sense to go with the cheap set, even if it is crap.
Originally Posted by rk604,Apr 23 2009, 10:08 AM
JL9000 makes a good point...I mean, everyone has diffferent perspectives obviously, but if your considering only "looks" then give springs a good thought. I personally was looking for looks aswell, but considering my low offfset, i needed the coils since i was not planning to roll my fenders
I have to agree with these two comments. Are you planning on getting rims? Future plans?

Honestly, if you are just going for looks just buy springs. Buying a set of cheap coilovers could actually decrease the performance of the car. The stock suspensions are what? Showa? The car handles pretty good stock...Honda spent a lot of time on this car lol
Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by viNz86,Apr 23 2009, 03:06 PM

Honestly, if you are just going for looks just buy springs. Buying a set of cheap coilovers could actually decrease the performance of the car. The stock suspensions are what? Showa? The car handles pretty good stock...Honda spent a lot of time on this car lol
sorry im noob, but what the hell.. cheap coilovers decreases performance? i would think its just adjusting the height of the car.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Cheap coil-overs might have shocks that are not properly vavled for the springs. If the shocks are under vavled, then you are relying on the spring's stiffness for rebound, which is why you get a very stiff bone jarring ride.

If the shocks are over-vavled, then the suspension will not extend quick enough so that on the next bump, you will bottom out the shocks. when you bottom out the shocks, that can lead to bad things.

Here is a good basic read on suspension.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve_-Atqo26A

anyone have this problem with the kw?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
BKL

Depends on what your application is.

If you want looks or a smooth ride, get springs.

If you want some sort of a performance improvement over stock, then bilstein PSS9, KW V3, or Koni yellow are probably your cheapest and best solution.

If you want even higher performance for the track. Then theres another range of coilovers that will run you up to around a minimum $3000 range.

Then theres full race suspension.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 PM

t1r b-max anygood?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Really good paper weights.

Quick Reply: Coilovers