Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Coilovers

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BC are the one who make the coilovers for megan and apexi , they are not the megan copies...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hi-revs,Apr 22 2009, 08:54 PM
In terms of build quality, i cant really make a call on that since i didnt go into extensive research while shopping for them. But after reading reviews upon reviews, i couldnt find anything that justifies going with them.
Like you, im not planning on tracking my car. Just city driving, and some hard driving from time to time. So they work just fine especially for the price.

The dampening feature is an awesome feature. With a turn of the knobs i can make my car feel a lot more stable in turns and "race car" feel, or soft like a roomy 4 door.

...yeah, lowering your car with just springs will defiantly give it the dropped look, but after a year or so, the rear will sag from .5-1.5' from just carrying shit in the trunk, or if you have subs in there. Whereas coilovers will keep whatever height you set them at.
Seat of the pants feel may not be as accurate as you think. Try putting them on a shock dyno and let the proof be the pudding.

As for saggy springs, don't think your BCR's will not fail you. Saggy springs is a result of poor quality springs, but a high quality coil-over should use a high quality spring. Ground Control coil-overs use Eibach ERS springs, and there are lots of options for spring rates, spring length, and spring diameters.

I don't know for sure who supplies the springs for BCR, so there is no guarentee that they will not sag.

If you just want a lower stance with decent ride, there really is no reason lowering springs can't get the job done and save you some money. Say you go with lowering springs on stock shocks. In 3 years, you can buy another set of stock shocks or koni's to replace the worn out shocks. With BCR's, are they rebuildable? If not, how hard is it to get a replacement shock? How much will it cost and what is the down time/turn around time like?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by tsukubaSpec,Apr 22 2009, 09:05 PM
BC are the one who make the coilovers for megan and apexi , they are not the megan copies...
Tomatoes tom-a-toes. Potatoes pot-a-toes.

Coil-overs like D2, Ksport, and a bunch others are made by the same shop in Taiwan.

Just read the lnk that i posted earlier and go from there. All other arguement is useless as most of the reviews is from people with the seats of their pants butt dyno's.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Community Organizer

Coilovers are overrated...just cut your stock springs...!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 AM

undeRwhelmed makes some good points. Most budget parts get good reviews because people who buy them have lower standards to begin with. I've had quite a bit of experience with aftermarket suspension, and realistically if you want looks, go with springs. Otherwise, be prepared to spend a good amount of money if you want decent coilovers. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Koni shocks though, but that's just my opinion based on experiences.

Most budget coilovers give the impression of good handling due to their stiffness but the dampening performance just isn't there. This is true thether they have 16 or 400 clicks on that little knob.

Then again, I've come to realize that people can buy whatever that makes them happy with the least amount of money, hence the abundance of choices on the market. I for the longest time could not understand why people bought cheap parts for nice cars that are equipped with decent stuff from the factory, but hey, if these people can be just as happy spending 1500 on a set of budget suspension setup compared to a good set that costs 3000+, it almost seems to make sense to go with the cheap set, even if it is crap.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:22 AM

if i get coilover at this summer,my first pick will give it to KW V2 as well.
if u r planing to get KW , pm me and i'll go ask my friend see if there r any deal.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man...good luck with your choice. Would you consider buying a slightly used set? Save yourself a lot of (depreciation) money.

If you are interested in BC, pm me with model...I can try and get you a good quote.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Apr 22 2009, 08:48 PM
The problem with BCR coil-overs is that they are Megan racing copies, who are copies of some other brand of coil-overs.

That being said, if you are after true race ready coil-overs, then BCR's are not them. If you want something that is slightly lower with good ride then get a set of lower springs on stock or Koni shocks.

When it comes to shocks, things you need to consider. Are they rebuildable, and if yes at what cost? They claim to be adjustable, yet how adjustable are they? Will one setting on one shock be the same on the other? Will adjusting them stiffer/softer have any impact on their compression/rebound curve?

Here is a good read on suspension.
[URL=http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html]Dennis Grant[/URL
Very interesting read. To quote Dennis Grant "Tein - synonyms for "crap" - wow!

Who actually has the ability to Dyno a shock before purchasing it anyways?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Community Organizer

JL9000 makes a good point...I mean, everyone has diffferent perspectives obviously, but if your considering only "looks" then give springs a good thought. I personally was looking for looks aswell, but considering my low offfset, i needed the coils since i was not planning to roll my fenders
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Dennis Grant is a really well known autoX'er and he is basically the father of Street Mod class for autoX.

I've never run the BCR stuff, but I have run Ksport coil-overs and after going to a set of race prepped Koni's, I now see the difference.

Quick Reply: Coilovers