Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Coilovers

Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

hey guys, i need some help with coilovers , not too stiff and not to soft around 1g-1.5g , just mainly for looks and daily driving for confort ride

i've got 2 in my mind, the bc coilovers and the kw v2
anyone here got bc coilovers on their s2k and are they any good? been doing some research but i still don't know how good those are

or any other coilovers that are decent

thanks gals/guys
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM

T1R?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Bilstein PSS9 might fit your criteria. I'd stay away from the BC coilovers, they seem like all the other budget coilovers you can find out there. Sure, you'll find lots of positive reviews but they are usually from guys with no experience with coilovers other than what they just bought and who ride around on the street with them and have themselves convinced that they've improved their car. For the most part you really do get what you pay for when it comes to coilovers. The KW's should be pretty good as well.

If you just want comfort and good looks why not just go with lowering springs? Coilovers may be a waste for what you are needing.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by undeRwhelmed,Apr 22 2009, 07:35 PM
Bilstein PSS9 might fit your criteria. I'd stay away from the BC coilovers, they seem like all the other budget coilovers you can find out there. Sure, you'll find lots of positive reviews but they are usually from guys with no experience with coilovers other than what they just bought and who ride around on the street with them and have themselves convinced that they've improved their car. For the most part you really do get what you pay for when it comes to coilovers. The KW's should be pretty good as well.

If you just want comfort and good looks why not just go with lowering springs? Coilovers may be a waste for what you are needing.
i've heard springs messes up the stock shocks is it true?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Certainly the stock shocks will wear out faster. How much faster? Well, that depends on a few things, how much wear is already on the shocks, your driving conditions, and mostly how much lower you are with the aftermarket springs and how much stiffer they are than the stockers. The bigger the drop and the stiffer the spring the faster the shocks will wear out.

If you are just looking for a moderate drop and a comfortable ride (this you are for sure) you should get pretty good life out of your stock shocks. You can always go with a set of Koni shocks when your stock shocks get tired. Or you could even look at a good set of matched springs and shocks right off the bat. That'd give you everything a coilover would minus the adjustability, which i doubt you would be needing.

Koni and ground control is a great combination, i'm sure there are others out there as well. It may be another choice for you to consider.

Keep in mind that whatever you buy, it will wear out over time as well, and will likely need to be rebuilt, which is something you need to consider. Most people don't evaluate the costs of having dampers rebuilt when making a decision of what suspension to buy. But sometimes a rebuild can cost as much as the coilovers themselves when you factor in shipping and taxes etc.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Another thing you could do is just buy another set of stock shocks when yours wear out on the aftermarket springs. Stock shocks can be had for next to nothing if you look around a bit, and sometimes with next to no mileage on them.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM

this is good information and for my future reference thanks underwhelmed deeply appriciated
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why staying away from Bc,any bad experience ?? ive seen a lot of good review, and lots of people are even tracking them... for the price i think they are not bad at all...
they come with the pillow ball mounts and a year warranty...
but thats only my opinion
Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM

The problem with BCR coil-overs is that they are Megan racing copies, who are copies of some other brand of coil-overs.

That being said, if you are after true race ready coil-overs, then BCR's are not them. If you want something that is slightly lower with good ride then get a set of lower springs on stock or Koni shocks.

When it comes to shocks, things you need to consider. Are they rebuildable, and if yes at what cost? They claim to be adjustable, yet how adjustable are they? Will one setting on one shock be the same on the other? Will adjusting them stiffer/softer have any impact on their compression/rebound curve?

Here is a good read on suspension.
Dennis Grant
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM

im running BC coilovers on mine right now, and i love them. Good price, and does the ride height and dampening features that the higher end ones do.

In terms of build quality, i cant really make a call on that since i didnt go into extensive research while shopping for them. But after reading reviews upon reviews, i couldnt find anything that justifies going with them.
Like you, im not planning on tracking my car. Just city driving, and some hard driving from time to time. So they work just fine especially for the price.

The dampening feature is an awesome feature. With a turn of the knobs i can make my car feel a lot more stable in turns and "race car" feel, or soft like a roomy 4 door.

...yeah, lowering your car with just springs will defiantly give it the dropped look, but after a year or so, the rear will sag from .5-1.5' from just carrying shit in the trunk, or if you have subs in there. Whereas coilovers will keep whatever height you set them at.

In my previous cars ive got with dropping with just springs and i honestly regret it, since i like the stiffness of coilovers.
Ive also gone with a set of T1R's to replace the Eibach springs. I would say its an awesome upgrade for the feel, but since going with the BC's on the S, i cant feel a difference.

....sure! quality my be different, but for the way i use them, i highly doubt i can do THAT much damage to them.

Thats just my opinion. It may be bias since i have them, but youre probably looking at close to $1000 difference btwn the 2.

I have the BC Racing BR series btw.
Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Coilovers