Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Carter Honda - Review

Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM
.F1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carter Honda - Review

Hey guys just thought I'd review my last service at Carter Honda.

This is my first service with my new car. I live close to Carter Honda and figured I'd go with them for convenience. I also had a $50 gift certificate which I wanted to use towards the cost.

I called a few days prior to book an appointment. I said I wanted an oil change plus mechanical inspection (basically one of those get-fit checkups, all dealerships offer them), differential fluid change, transmission fluid change, and new wiper refills. Was quoted a cost of "just over $200" for everything. Also, the wiper refills was included as part of the package. They also told me there was a shuttle service. Turns out the person on the phone didn't really know what she was talking about.

When I arrived Saturday morning, Dwayne the SA was very helpful and friendly. But that's when I learned about all the misinformation I was given. The cost was going to be $300 not "just over $200". Also the wipers were not included. And there was no shuttle (not offered on Saturday).

But Dwayne was helpful. He couldn't do anything about the cost, but he offered to install the wiper refills for free, and he asked a lot boy to give me a ride back home. Good stuff.

I was told the car would be ready around 2pm. By 4pm they hadn't called. I remembered I could look online to check on my car. Turns out it was ready at 12pm. I wish someone had phoned me to let me know.

When I arrived at the dealer, I paid the bill, and left.

But I should have checked my car for damage!

When I got home and pulled into my garage, the radio went fuzzy suddenly. I got out and noticed my antenna had been broken off, and the screw was still left sticking out of the hole.

I went back to the dealer but they were just closing up. Dwayne seemed concerned, but also had no idea how this could have happened. He told me to come back on Monday and he would do something for me.

Because I work full time, it's not easy for me to go back during the week. I also knew I'd have a hard time proving anything, because I had left the dealer before I saw the damage.

So I ended up fixing it myself. Luckily, enough of the screw was sticking out and I managed to remove it with a pair of pliers. I used to have an EP3 and had an extra antenna still lying around. It fits perfectly. So I never bothered going back to the dealer.

Except for the damage, it would have been an overall good experience. I appreciated the ride home, and Dwayne's wilingness to help. I think for my next oil change, I'd still give them one more try.

Moral of the story -- always check your car for damage before leaving the dealership or mechanic.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM

"But that's when I learned about all the misinformation I was given. The cost was going to be $300 not "just over $200". Also the wipers were not included."

This part really ticks me off about any shop when they pull this kinda stuff.
I'd rather them tell me it's $300 up front and that it doesn't include installation of wipers.

This is almost like a bait and switch. I wouldn't expect Safeway to misquote me on their milk just so they can sucker me into their store.

I know they can say.. "oh we didn't know".. that's just bs.

I just went to Minit Tune today and will post about the experience later (not a good one).
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Lol, I agree with Ken! Did you ask why there was a price difference? Because of what happened I would not take my car there. Did you ask them to make sure they install the S2000 specific Oil Filter?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
.F1

I didn't know there is such thing as an S2000 specific filter. I always assume that Honda would use the right OEM filter.

When the intitial price quote was given to me over the phone, I immediately thought it was a bit low. I even commented to them that's pretty cheap. She said yeah it is.

So when I was told the actual price, I wasn't too surprised, and it was still within my expectations. Hence I didn't see a reason to leave. Also, I had a $50 gift certificate.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Community Organizer

Yes, we need the 15400 PCX 004. All other Honda's use a smaller PLM.

Lots of info here on S2ki.

Here's one thread on the topic.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry2801383

When I first bought my car, I was considering whether or not to take my car to Carter for an oil change. I asked the Service Advisor what oil filter they were going to use, and he had no clue. He said I needed to talk to the parts department. Needless to say, I didn't take my car there.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
.F1

Yep that's the one they used.

I've met lots of SAs over the years at many different places. A large majority aren't as smart as you'd think, unfortunately. But at the same time, 90% of customers aren't smart either. It's the nature of the business. Blind leading the blind.

As long as the mechanic is smart, that's what's most important. Hence why I always steer clear of those quick-lube places (like Mr Lube) which advertise in the employment ads "No experience Necessary".
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Community Organizer

No experience necessary!!! Good point!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm picky but I wouldn't even call that a good experience. Nothing should be broken off. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my car like many other s2ki members.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 AM

Carter honda sucks balls......a year ago when i was trying to purchase one of their honda s2000 from carter honda....set up a date and time to check out the car..at the end when i got there they said that someone bought the car already without letting me know..bad service..rep ...just shitty
Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM

Hopefully they used the right diff fluid!

Quick Reply: Carter Honda - Review