Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Canucks!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Angry Canucks!

There doesn't seem to be a hope in sight...I mean for next year.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about a disappointing game and season. I was POSITIVE the Canucks were gonna make the playoffs at the beginning of the season. I'm not delusional, I didn't think they would take it all, but c'mon!! At least make the playoffs!!

Maybe we'll see them at a driving range next meet...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
dmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its sad they couldn't finish the last couple games well. Oh well anyone playing any hockey this summer?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 PM

yahooo!!!! oilers take down canucks with them haha
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Absolutely pathetic. In an elimination game, I did not expect such poor effort. No heart, no passion..
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 AM

even if they did make the playoffs, they wouldn't have lasted past the first round.

IMO, the Canucks put all their eggs in one basket by acquiring Luongo (when i say eggs, i mean money). We now don't have money for any other talent, so we're stuck with a decent goalie, but nobody can score. The canucks need a star that can carry the puck into the offensive zone (dump and chase = lame, when you don't have any speed to get to the puck first). I mean let's face it...our first liners would probably be second liners (at best) on any other team.

IMO, a team can't win with just a good goalie, and I kinda saw this coming when we signed Luongo. (and I still think Luongo was over-hyped and we fell into the trap of paying him too much, but that's a whole different story).

But it'll be interesting to see what happens during the off-season. I full team rebuild is highly unlikely now, since we don't have the $ to do it.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Naslund's $6M will be off the payroll next year, but there are no real bonafide goal scorers available that we would want. I do think we need to move a D. We have 4 D that's using up over $14M.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 AM

AH! Alspeed beat me to it. With Nazzy gone [and he better be gone] that'll free up $6mil. with which to get some sort firepower. In one more year, Morrison will be gone and that'll free up another $4mil i think?

If we're willing to turn next year into a rebuild year, at the end of 08-09, we'll have almost 10 million to work with. Assuming we're resigning the Sedins and Kesler at significantly raised salaries, along with some of our young guns at a bit more, it'll probably be closer to 5-6mil.

I actually disagree with you on the D thing though Al. Our blueline is one of the more solid ones in the NHL, when they're healthy. Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo are great most nights. Bieksa was great before the crappy injury. And Bourdon, McIver, Krajicek are solid for young guys.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 AM

I do believe Morrison's contract ends this year. In total, there is 8 UFA's and it doesn't look like those 8 guys are going to be resigned, but in those 8 players, one of them is Linden.

Take it for what it's worth, the Nuck's over achieved last year because Luongo is that good. This year, Luongo had a good start and played well but near the end you can see he was trying too hard because he knew the team in front of him was not as good as the team last year because of injuries. Luongo was fustrated and add on his wife and her difficult child birth and them being 5 hour flight away, you can see why he played how he did.

A few things that I want to point out. The biggest blame goes on the coaches. The Canucks had 10 OTL's this year. Had they won even 3 of those 10, they would be tied in points with Nashville, and ahead because of the 1 extra win. They have the next great goalie in Cory Schnider playing on the Moose. He is 24 yet Price is an 18 year old starting goalie for the Canadiens. Bourdon was the 10th pick overall, and he has only played a hand full of games.

I can see the team not resigning at least one of the top 4 D men. Edler is showing his abilities as an up and coming D man, and you need to give Bourdon more ice time. Krajieck hasn't shown he has what it takes to crack the top 4 D men, but playing 5th or 6th was decent.

Can't wait till next year when we see what type of team Nonnis can build. Basically, this year's team was still mainly built with players that Burke signed, so next year we will see if Nonnis is as good as a GM as Burke.

Quick Reply: Canucks!