Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Canadian drivers take note!

Old 10-11-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian drivers take note!

The one thing that REALLY bugs me about driving in Canada, is that everybody drives in the passing lane! Why on earth do you bother having two lanes or more as it just encourages everyone to weave through the traffic if you have no idea of road etiquette?

We are far from perfect in Britain (I know that this will surprise some of you! ) when it comes to lane "hogging", but we are all taught to pull in to the left lane (the right lane for us in Canada) to enable faster drivers to pass by without holding up traffic - even if they are breaking the speed limit.

If we see someone catching us from behind and we are overtaking, we pull in to let the faster car overtake, and then we pull out again to continue our own passing manoeuvres.

The BBC have an article (below) which is all about the government telling motorists to pull in to the correct lane to let drivers past.

And how on earth do you have such high insurance premiums when your speed limits are SO slow? Give me the 100 kmh through the narrow country roads of Britain, the lower insurance pemiums, bright yellow speed cameras at accident black-spots so that you know to slow down and a police force that does not hide behind objects with a speed gun!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/3730884.stm

CANADA TAKE NOTE PLEASE!

(I feel so much better now. )
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 AM

You would not believe how much this pisses me off
As far as I'm concerned, the most important rule of the road is "Slower traffic keep right"! If people just obeyed this, this would drastically cut down on the road rage. People get stuck behind 2 slow moving cars, hogging both lanes, get pissed off, make dangerous passes.... before you know it, shit goes down.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The people who would be doing this in Britain are busy getting into riots at football games.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 11 2004, 01:00 PM
The people who would be doing this in Britain are busy getting into riots at football games.
Hi Mike,

Not sure where this comment from the 1980s relates to anything here.

It's especially sensitive to those of us from Liverpool who were horrified in 1985 when a dozen Juventus (Italian) supporters died after a very small mindless minority were involved and then 4 years later (1989) when 96 from Liverpool were herded into an enclosure (mistakenly reported as crowd trouble by one tabloid rag in UK) and where crushed to death.

EDIT: Mike and I are up to date on this - no problems between us.