Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Anyone lived in Calgary?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
I have very little unusual rust forming on the car. I say unusual because the axle hubs, frame rails, suspension arms, etc all get a surface rust on them as a normal course of events. Take a look at any S2000 that doesn't see salt and you'll see this rust. I call that "normal" rust and this kind is not of any detriment to the car. A one year old car will get these parts rusted just from car washes and driving in the rain.
The only places I get rust is where I've drilled holes in the body to mount stuff and I try to coat the holes with touch up paint before mounting the part. The other areas of rust are from rock chips around the wheel wells. Also, the early cars have this plastic trim on the rear wheel well. Dirt and crap get underneath this trim and it begins to rust where the plastic rear bumper cover meets the metal rear quarter panel. On later cars, Honda left that trim piece off and those cars never rusted there unless damaged. I removed those pieces, ground off the rust, primed and re-painted and the rust has not returned for 2 years now.
If you look under an S2000, you will see a black tar like coating right from the factory. They rustproof these things pretty good. Aftermarket rustproofing is not necessary and unless it's put on as soon as the car comes off the boat, there's no point anyway. When washing the car in winter, spray the underside of the car all around with the nozzle and this gets rid of much of any salt that find its way there. Fix rock chips as soon as possible. If driven in winter conditions, consider getting a 3M film covering all frontal areas. Wheels wells get the worst and there isn't much you can do about that except to touch up paint the bad chips when you can. Even left alone, these chips will begin to rust but doesn't seem to spread. I have a couple of small spots (1/2" long) on the fender edges that are rusted but they have not spread in nearly a decade. I don't know what's going on with the UK cars, but you would never know mine is 12 daily driven years old. It could be that those UK cars live constantly in close proximity to sea air. Sea salt can sometimes be more corrosive than the salt they spread on the roads around here.

Dave!! Holy crap, I thought I had lost you forever. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but dude a computer failure and a couple of new phones caused a loss of all your contact info. Can you send me a PM with your email and cell (if you are okay with that). I would love to touch base with you again! Hope all is well...
Old 08-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geppetto
Originally Posted by xviper' timestamp='1344201942' post='21914723
I have very little unusual rust forming on the car. I say unusual because the axle hubs, frame rails, suspension arms, etc all get a surface rust on them as a normal course of events. Take a look at any S2000 that doesn't see salt and you'll see this rust. I call that "normal" rust and this kind is not of any detriment to the car. A one year old car will get these parts rusted just from car washes and driving in the rain.
The only places I get rust is where I've drilled holes in the body to mount stuff and I try to coat the holes with touch up paint before mounting the part. The other areas of rust are from rock chips around the wheel wells. Also, the early cars have this plastic trim on the rear wheel well. Dirt and crap get underneath this trim and it begins to rust where the plastic rear bumper cover meets the metal rear quarter panel. On later cars, Honda left that trim piece off and those cars never rusted there unless damaged. I removed those pieces, ground off the rust, primed and re-painted and the rust has not returned for 2 years now.
If you look under an S2000, you will see a black tar like coating right from the factory. They rustproof these things pretty good. Aftermarket rustproofing is not necessary and unless it's put on as soon as the car comes off the boat, there's no point anyway. When washing the car in winter, spray the underside of the car all around with the nozzle and this gets rid of much of any salt that find its way there. Fix rock chips as soon as possible. If driven in winter conditions, consider getting a 3M film covering all frontal areas. Wheels wells get the worst and there isn't much you can do about that except to touch up paint the bad chips when you can. Even left alone, these chips will begin to rust but doesn't seem to spread. I have a couple of small spots (1/2" long) on the fender edges that are rusted but they have not spread in nearly a decade. I don't know what's going on with the UK cars, but you would never know mine is 12 daily driven years old. It could be that those UK cars live constantly in close proximity to sea air. Sea salt can sometimes be more corrosive than the salt they spread on the roads around here.

Dave!! Holy crap, I thought I had lost you forever. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but dude a computer failure and a couple of new phones caused a loss of all your contact info. Can you send me a PM with your email and cell (if you are okay with that). I would love to touch base with you again! Hope all is well...
I'm about to send you a PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
dmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics and advice, really appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Good info! Honda actually left those plastic trim on all years of the S. My car had it and my friend's '08 CR has it as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Good info! Honda actually left those plastic trim on all years of the S. My car had it and my friend's '08 CR has it as well.
That surprises me. There are a few later S2000s in our Starbucks group and they all have that piece missing. I guess the news got around and those pieces got pulled off early in the cars' life. Mine is an '00 and my buddy yanked his off when the car was fairly new and his car never developed any rust in that spot or anywhere else for that matter. He sold his car last year with nearly 200K kms on it. He daily drove his, including winters. We used to have parking lot drag races on early Sunday mornings in the snow and ice to see who had the better snow tires.
http://good-times.webshots.com/video...25981935cbAGZZ
Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clearly the silver car with the black hard top had the best snow tires.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by nick.g
Clearly the silver car with the black hard top had the best snow tires.
Actually, that's my car with a silver HT and it was running Blizzaks (MZ series). We had 2 with "performance" Blizzaks (LM series), one with Michelins Alpins. The current LM series are equivalent to the old MZ and that's what I use today.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k' timestamp='1344381332' post='21920252
That surprises me. There are a few later S2000s in our Starbucks group and they all have that piece missing. I guess the news got around and those pieces got pulled off early in the cars' life. Mine is an '00 and my buddy yanked his off when the car was fairly new and his car never developed any rust in that spot or anywhere else for that matter. He sold his car last year with nearly 200K kms on it. He daily drove his, including winters. We used to have parking lot drag races on early Sunday mornings in the snow and ice to see who had the better snow tires.
http://good-times.webshots.com/video...25981935cbAGZZ
I remember doing this before (not in the S2000)! I've wanted to try again, but the last couple years we haven't seen much snow (which is fine by me ).

I recall there being a lot of sand/dirt stuck between the plastic trim and the body of the car when I yanked mine off about 2 years ago. Now that it's off, I find it much easier to clean the area.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 has them as well. I always pressure wash them.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Community Organizer

^if it's still on, I suggest you take them off. After you do that, run your fingers along the inside lip and you will see how much crap gets left behind.

Quick Reply: Anyone lived in Calgary?