Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Anyone driving the S2K in the winter?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice from everyone. Mine is my dd, but when the snow really flies it's time for the 4x4. I'm staring out the window at about 10" now, so the S is parked. I couldn't resist heading for a parking lot last night though. What better opportunity could we ever get to safely explore the limits of our cars in stuff like this at a time when everyone is in bed.

The S really IS a hoot in snow!! One thing I've found out is that the engine has enough compression to drag the tires in 2nd gear when slowing down on ice, but otherwise the handling is very predictable. Drifting in a deserted parking lot (at midnight) was a ton of fun.

I agree that my AS T/A's are not as good as snows, but they are very good in the light stuff.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy,Dec 14 2008, 12:10 AM
On my way home from Ditchmond tonight, company holiday party, saw a red AP1 with black/gunmetal stokies parked on the side of the highway just before the New West/Annicis Island exit.

I say this every year, and here I am saying it again. Snow tires are cheap insurance. Wyatt was selling his stockies for cheap and snow tires are only $400-500 new. Less than $1000, you have tires that will get you home. Tires for your car is like shoes for you. Do you need basketball players playing in heels? Do you see soccer players in flip flops?

If you plan on skiing a lot, going to Whistler, or going to SFU, I don't see why you wouldn't have snow tires on your car? I don't care if I offend someone with this statement. All season tires are not snow tires. When the temperature gets below 7 degrees C, the rubber hardens which makes them not as good as snow tires. The compound on the snow tires keep the rubber soft in cold conditions. And the compound difference is just the begining. Tread pattern is another difference. When the grooves fill with snow/slush, your all season tire acts like a slick tire. The snow tires have wider grooves and many tiny slits that help the tire release the snow/slush so that you have traction.

People are spending how much money on their cars? And won't spend $1000 on snow tires? Doesn't make any sense to me.
i agree with you. but, what about the people out there who dont get snow tires? and that they hit us ? we can stop with our snow tires but can they control their car to prevent from hitting us? IMO i dont think it makes a difference, buying snow tires can't prevent them hitting us. mite as well join everyone without snow tires LOL
Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
difference is your covered by insurance if u have snows...if not then byebye
Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Just everyone drive safely, and that is great advice SumAznGuy.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SVtec,Dec 14 2008, 12:09 PM
i agree with you. but, what about the people out there who dont get snow tires? and that they hit us ? we can stop with our snow tires but can they control their car to prevent from hitting us? IMO i dont think it makes a difference, buying snow tires can't prevent them hitting us. mite as well join everyone without snow tires LOL
What kind of analogy is that?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:58 AM
woo

well that's why we have insurance, but ICBC will be a pain in the ass on you if you get into an accident without snow tires, if it was snowing bad that day. Sometimes all seasons wont even cut it.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Community Organizer

^^^
exactly....

If you have snows...and the other driver does not...even if it is your fault...you can turn it around and say its his/her fault... depends tho

but that would just b a jackass move
Old 12-15-2008, 06:11 PM

If other people street race, does that mean you should street race?
If other people drink and drive, does that mean you shoudl too?

Just because other retards drive with all-seasons in the snow, doesn't mean you should take the chance. I can't make you drive with snow tires, but how would you feel if you get stuck and ask a friend to come save your ass and your friend gets into an accident and kills themselves or worse someone else.

</rant>
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=SumAznGuy,Dec 15 2008, 08:11 PM] If other people street race, does that mean you should street race?
If other people drink and drive, does that mean you shoudl too?

Just because other retards drive with all-seasons in the snow, doesn't mean you should take the chance.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
woo

I hate winter!! i got stuck in the intersection yesterday for 40mins cuz of ice. Sorry just had to rant

Quick Reply: Anyone driving the S2K in the winter?