Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Tired F20.. Valve retainer? TCT?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired F20.. Valve retainer? TCT?

Hey all! I'm really new to s2000's and can't say I've every dealt with anything inside the motor on any car. My car has had a ticking noise from the motor, it was a lot less noticeable when i first purchased it.(about 2 months ago) I thought it was just an exhaust rattle at first but I now believe it could be coming from the motor.

Two days ago on my normal commute to work, I was entering a highway and wanted to pass a semi-truck, so after slowing down to make the turn I dropped into 1st gear; I believe that put me at about 5k. I accelerated and tried to check my blind spot, but after second guessing my blind spot,(top was up ) I realized I was dangerously close to 9k so I shifted and passed the truck. I don't believe I passed or even reached 9k, yet after that incident I could notice the tick noise got louder. The car drives fine, I don't notice a loss in power or anything like that. I just hear the ticking noise when I turn the car on, then it goes faint once it settles it's idling. Or if the music is down and passing by a solid structure.

Today I took the s2k to Haun at Import-Auto, to pick up a shift knob I purchased and to see if he could shed some light on my motor tick. I told him what had happened, and told him what I have read on this forum to give him an idea of the common AP1 retainer/or TCT repair. He said he wasn't familiar with fixing the s2000's... but he wanted to hear the tick. When I turned on the car to show him, the tick was gone. Even when throttle was pressed, I couldn't recreate the noise. When I drove away, the tick was apparent. haha

So now I come to you, Fellow S2kers... I'm wondering if anyone might know of a mechanic that knows his S2000s. Preferably in Salt Lake

Or an easy way to diagnose my car; I say easy because it would be my fist time opening an engine.(even the valve cover) Or more information I could give you, so you guys could help me diagnose the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm going to go change the oil in the s2k since I haven't done it yet.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The AP1 has a rev limiter at 9,600 RPM. If you Redline it it will self protect and cut-off the VTEC solenoid. The engine will not be damaged even with multiple hits. Most AP1 damage occurs on downshifting. If you over rev a downshift the valves can float and various items can fail (usually valve retainers). At the top of the Under The Hood Forum is a thread called "FAQ Maintenance". Lots of things can cause ticking. Do a search in Under the Hood and you may get some ideas on what to check. I'm in Ogden but work in SLC. My guess from your description is Tct Noise. Way more common then the retainer. How much do you know about the history of the car?

Utah
Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM

^^ Utah knows his stuff really well. Sounds like TCT issue to me as well, but could possibly be other things. As Utah asked, the history of the car is pretty important - things like how it may have been driven, maintenance (last valve adjustment, fluid changes, regular services) could help identify what it might be. The only time you're engine is in trouble is if you are at high rpm in one gear (8,000 -9,000 rpm), say third, and downshift to second instead of upshifting to fourth.
Lots of AP1 owners pull the valve cover after purchasing a used AP1 to inspect the valve retainers as a preventative measure - being that a previous owner may have had a mechanical over-rev and cracked one and it's just waiting to fail. IMO, it isn't a bad idea to check those anyway because of a previous owner (some prefer to replace the intake side retainers with AP2 versions), though it very likely isn't the cause of your noise.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys. I changed the oil and the ticking went away(I read the dipstick wrong. I suck.)... It must've been low, I guess it was the TCT? I drove it around for 2 days with the ticking, do you think I should replace or restore my TCT?

As for the retainers, I think I will replace the intake ones to AP2 just to be on the safe side, once I research more & feel comfortable enough to do so. I don't want to open it up and ruin something else.

Again, thanks. I promise i won't make the low oil mistake again!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Yep, that would be your issue. The TCT relies on oil pressure, so most likely that's your ticking. I'd think if the oil is up to proper level, just check it consistently and make sure you stay in good range. The TCT shouldn't need to be replaced or repaired unless the ticking comes back regularly.
There is a huge thread on the AP1/AP2 retainer issue, you'll find lots of good stuff in there regarding the retainers, fixes, and whatnot. Post #2 in this thread has good info:

Pics of my cracked AP1 valve retainers

Nice work
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Closed at Posters request - Issue Resolved