Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Professional paint chip repair in Salt Lake?

Old 10-12-2002, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional paint chip repair in Salt Lake?

Just wondering if anyone in the Salt Lake area as had small paint chips repaired professionally? Are there any reputable body shops in the area that you would recommend?
Old 10-12-2002, 01:46 PM

Wasatch Body Shop or Alpine Auto Renovations. They are the two best body shops in the valley

Alpine Auto:135 W 900 South Salt Lake City, UT 84101-2943
(801) 531-5437

Wasatch Body:373 W 955 S Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 322-1728
Old 10-13-2002, 08:59 AM

Thanks. Have you seen their S2000 work yourself, or do they just have a good reputation?
Old 10-13-2002, 11:59 AM

Just a very good reputation. We (my company) have had two NSX's repaired through Wasatch Auto and a Porsche Turbo repaired through Alpine. They are both top notch and are the preferred body shops for Ken Garff Imports/Dave Strong Porsche Audi/Jody Wilkinson Acura/ Exotic Imports.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:35 AM

I'll give them a call. Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:38 AM

Just to follow up, I talked to Wasatch Body and they asked me to bring my car in for an estimate. I have one small paint chip on my hood that I want repaired before the ClearBra goes on.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the guy at Wasatch Body who looked at my car gave me the brush-off.

He looked at my little hood chip and said the only way to fix it was to do a full respray. He also said that matching the Spa Yellow was very hard and even a full respray of the hood might not match the rest of the car. In that case he said he may have to fully repaint other panels as well.

While I realize a full repray is the best way to reproduce a factory quality finish, c'mon, surely one of their skilled technicians could have done a much better touch-up job than me. And sure, a good paint job involves several layers, but I don't believe for a second that it's hard to match Honda colors from panel to panel.

I'm betting my paint chip wasn't worth their time. No doubt they had more expensive cars to paint and my little job wasn't worth it.

Anyway, I'm sure they do great work, but my bullshit sense was tingling.

Fortunately my ClearBra installer works with a body shop that won't send me away, so I'll see how that goes. That and I may see what Alpine Auto has to say.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Derekasaurus
Just to follow up, I talked to Wasatch Body and they asked me to bring my car in for an estimate. I have one small paint chip on my hood that I want repaired before the ClearBra goes on.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the guy at Wasatch Body who looked at my car gave me the brush-off.

He looked at my little hood chip and said the only way to fix it was to do a full respray. He also said that matching the Spa Yellow was very hard and even a full respray of the hood might not match the rest of the car. In that case he said he may have to fully repaint other panels as well.

While I realize a full repray is the best way to reproduce a factory quality finish, c'mon, surely one of their skilled technicians could have done a much better touch-up job than me. And sure, a good paint job involves several layers, but I don't believe for a second that it's hard to match Honda colors from panel to panel.

I'm betting my paint chip wasn't worth their time. No doubt they had more expensive cars to paint and my little job wasn't worth it.

Anyway, I'm sure they do great work, but my bullshit sense was tingling.

Fortunately my ClearBra installer works with a body shop that won't send me away, so I'll see how that goes. That and I may see what Alpine Auto has to say.

No paint chip is worth a entire respray although they are correct about Spa being near impossible to match especailly on the aluminum hood. If it's just a tiny chip I say buy some touch-up paint, do it yourself and then get it clear-bra'd.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Send an email to:

"Yellow S2000"

Tell Marc I sent ya....he pioneered the clear bra here before he sold his "S". He has a guy in Salt Lake that is awesome for minor chip repair. He may also have a better source for your clear bra.

Utah

P.S.
Go to start button (home page)
Do Member search
Advanced--Yellow S2000
Old 10-23-2002, 07:41 AM

It's funny you should mention Marc because I just emailed him last week. I came across his post from last year recommending Mark Brown in SLC for clearbra installation, and Mark Brown in turn recommended a shop to repair my paint chip (the same shop Yellow S2000 used). Anyway, Yellow S2000 was still very pleased with the chip repair and clearbra more than a year after repair/installation, so I'll be having both done this week through the same guys. Assuming it stops raining long enough for me to wash my car.