Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah

Does my cold air intake really get cold air?

Old 04-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my cold air intake really get cold air?

While showing my car to a friend this past weekend, he noted that my CAI was behind my radiator, and probably not getting anything except "hot" air. I bought this car used, and the CAI was already installed. It is made by Injen, but may not be the correct one, or correctly installed. The air filter on the end is directly behind the large cooling fan. I have seen some intakes that have a duct that goes over the radiator, and some that go to the side by the right wheel(Comptech). Do I need to make a change to what I have right now? Or is this OK? Any help appreciated. I will also see what Christian says about it when I go to Modern this week for my suspension work.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:30 AM

I was also wondering if anyone has ever seen a custom hood or hood vent that pulls air into a box directly from outside. This would seem to work good, and it would look good too. I have only seen hoods with what appear to be decorative vents, and the vents go backwards anyway.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From your description, it sounds like you have a "short ram" intake. This is a "hot" air intake for our car. The temperature of the air in that region of the engine bay, once the car has been up to operating temps would be in the neighborhood of 40-50 degrees C, UNTIL the fan comes on or when the rad is being cooled with incoming air. Then you could be sucking in air that is near 70*C or higher.
As for the "scoop idea", this one on "Saud's" car can be made to bring air in.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=119058
Old 04-28-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the link to this thread. After reading your comment there, I am wondering if it would be possible to make a vent like this for my car, or maybe the teardrop style, and instead of the Injen intake, use an original air box, but have the vent feed the air in through the top. If I did this, would I have to worry about moisture, or would the filter trap it well enough.

Also, you mention the possible 70 degree temperature, but not if that is a problem, is it? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SDickson
[B]Thanks for the link to this thread.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:14 PM

What do you think of these designs.

[img]C:WINNTProfilessdickso1Desktopvent.bmp[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 01:53 PM

checking temps with 4 under hood gauges, in front of radiator it is close to ambient, behind radiator it is about 30-40 degress above ambient. my comptech SC airbox location is usually 4-6 degress above ambient while driving. i also have the fake brake ducts cut out so there is also some air coming in from here thru the hole in the engine bay. i did not try it out before cutting the duct so i am not sure if it really makes that much difference.

as far as temps go, your setup is worse than stock airbox. it might be offset a little with more airflow since it is less restrictive. an injen/aem CAI takes the piping into the fender area and away from all the engine/radiator heat.

keith
Old 04-28-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by SDickson
What do you think of these designs.

[img]C:WINNTProfilessdickso1Desktopvent.bmp[/img]
Sorry, the pics don't show. You can't attach a pic directly from your computer.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Feel free to PM me and get together this or another weekend. I helped develope several CAI's (all except ROAR's LOL). I have a box full of AEM pipes to use to get you into the cold air area. It could be a hybrid of sorts.....Injen/AEM. Anyway if you need someone to check it out give me a ring........XViper can vouch for my knowledge in this area.....even though he did away with the Original Import Developement CAI I sent him...........(think he went FAI).

Regards,

Utah
Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
XViper can vouch for my knowledge in this area.....even though he did away with the Original Import Developement CAI I sent him...........(think he went FAI).
Yes, I can vouch for Utah. He knows his stuff.
I used the IDI snorkel for several months. It worked very well. It was donated to VTEXTC and is still being used by him.

Uh .......... "FAI"?

Quick Reply: Does my cold air intake really get cold air?