Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

winter driven S2k's

Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVai,Feb 14 2007, 09:04 AM
Not in a S but a IS350. I let my wife took the 4runner and I took her IS. The car still has stock performance tire. What an adventure!!

Got stuck a little bit twice, but was able to wiggle myself out.
If you care about your wife get her some winter tires man. I drove mine today with blizzaks and it was great. But on summer tires, you're asking for trouble.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:15 AM

I run Avon 550s - not the most lateral grip, but they've been fantastic in the rain and snow. Sure, I can spin up the tires just about anytime I want, but last night, as long as the snow wasn't above the front splitter, I could drive through 4" with no problem
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM

i'm on somewhat bald bfg traction ta's on the stock 16s...had no problems what so ever. i just had to be very careful. the only thing i should have done was raise my car up a little, the thing is slammed.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by J-rod,Feb 13 2007, 08:10 PM
where'd you hear that this will be the last heavy snowfall of the winter?? . . . I heard that for some areas in the midwest, winter is just startin to crank up, and that we should expect more storms
who told you that, the weather guy? you know how full of shit they are. they have no clue.

s02s are suicide, if you drive in this snow with anything short of in good condition snow tires you are an idiot. sorry to be harsh, but it really is irresponsible.

other than that rant I love snow w/ snow tires.

here is a picture of a friend of mine's car. he got out of this snow bank without much problem. crazy guy.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM

I had bald s02's with no tread left!! It felt like i had a 1000hp car when it wasn't snowing. Literally every turn i took i was sideways.

Last weekend i just got snow tires and it makes a world of difference. I would deffinately recommend to pick up a set if it's in your budget.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta's and they are a dream. The first snow we had was quite light and I still had Goodyear Eagle F1's on the car-- couldn't make it up a hill with a half-inch on the ground. Got the snow tires the next day and drove home through a 6-total-inch storm. What a difference! It's a lot of fun when there's no-one else on the roads. I worry more about other people slamming into me than my car causing a problem. Thankfully I work at a school and don't have to work when things get really bad-- when I was a kid I thought snow days were for students; now I truly understand.

--Chazz
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Never drove the S2k with S02s in the snow, never had the desire to find out what it was like. to Nokians
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM

I drove about 30 miles on rural roads and kept it on what appeared to be the road.

I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires on right now and they work pretty good even without the traction control. I felt more comfortable than with a FWD and all-seasons. I felt the biggest difference they made was the braking ability. I can brake fairly hard without the ABS activating. I would say though that they don't seem to help as much in turns as I was expecting (this is my first set of snow tires used).

I drove with the RE050s in an Oct. 8th snow. but that was only about an inch or so. Definite improvement. The snow tires make it enjoyable when the snow falls and they give you plenty of ability to catch spins unless you are trying to.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Dunlop Wintersports in the 6 inches of drifting snow we received did not create any sort of problem. I was more wary of other drivers than I was of the car sliding around or getting stuck.

Question for the Chicagoland people - how are the roads into the city?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM

streets are all clear now. but what suks is the snow that the plows cram up on you. they harden overnight and is a bitch to shovel. lucky me, a coworker that lives not too far from me has a plow on his surburban and plowed the curb in from of my apartment.
i cant take a snow day cause "trucks keep america rollin" and i keep the trucks on the road.
called work this morning and tole them i'll be about an hour late(woake up at 5 am to dig out mom's car and my car), boss said dont worry about it and he came and picked me up so i didnt have to drive.
if we get more heavy snow, imma get a shit load of small sheet metal screws and drill them evenly into the tread blocks on my rear tires. BOOM! instant studded tires.
i'll trash the S02's when season changes and get new summer rubber and hopefully make WTD.

Quick Reply: winter driven S2k's