Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

winter driven S2k's

Old 02-13-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter driven S2k's

to all my homies who DD their S...... how many times did you get stuck today?

hahahaha 3 for me. i managed to get out of the snowbank that drifted around my car but the sloped parking lot sucked my ass end down as i tried to go straight. then i got stuck at a dip right before a set of RR tracks. whew, i would have panicked if it stopped ON the tracks.
then finally, as usual, right at the corner turning down my street.

i was really contemplating driving straight to tire rack for a set of winter tires(im on stock SO2's with about 3-5 32nds tread left on em) but i been known to be stuborn and also cause i dont wanna buy tires towards the END of winter. this will probably be the last heavy snowfall for the season. wooot. i made it thru winter on a set of 6 year old tires.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM

I got stuck 3 times too. but it was intentional, and I knew I could get out.

I have snow tires. they are sweet. I have never had so much fun in any car ever.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM

the only thing i did to prepare for this winter in my S was buying one of those WWII era foldable shovels for my trunk. that suka came in handy.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM

where'd you hear that this will be the last heavy snowfall of the winter?? . . . I heard that for some areas in the midwest, winter is just startin to crank up, and that we should expect more storms
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM

i didnt, i just made an assumption outta my own butt that this would be it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:50 PM

you're seriously on stock S02s right now? how the hell have you been driving around? i've got wintersport M3s on...they are definitely a lot of fun.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Cool

Is it really fun? I have Kumhos on my car and they are downright dangerous.
In about two inches of snow with variations in depth are you safely able to go around 40 without losing control of the rear and spinning out? Is there a big difference? What tires are you using? Do you know how they work? Please help.... That car scares me to drive in the winter... Can the lack of weight in the rear really stop me from driving in 2-4 inches of snow/slush? Are they really that grippy? Thank You for all of your help!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 AM

i get stuck on the driveway, it goes up a hill and around a corner that slants away. during slippery conditions, i tend to go up sideways, but i've lost the backend off the edge of the driveway 3 times, PITA to get it back up. the S has been out of commish since monday night due to too much snow
Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 AM

Not in a S but a IS350. I let my wife took the 4runner and I took her IS. The car still has stock performance tire. What an adventure!!

Got stuck a little bit twice, but was able to wiggle myself out.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

You're on stock S02's???? You're nuts man!!! I'd just stay home and call in a "snow day".

I was doing just great yesterday in the one-ton Lexus on all-seasons. Going northbound on Randall with NO traffic I decided to turn off the VSC....that was fun! I think I've mastered the low speed pendulum swing with that car.

I think next Winter, I'm going to screw having to get/swap winter tires, I may just pick up a beater Subaru Imprezza/WRX wagon. I see they can be had on the cheap.

Quick Reply: winter driven S2k's