Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Urmil's Car Washing Tips

Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urmil's Car Washing Tips

So I looked in wash and wax and it was pitiful. is there a 'how Urmil maintains his paint job' Thread around here, or could we dime this one? I just figure with his anal 'only I wash my car' and winning trophies thing maybe you could help a crackah out. Or if you think I'm a douche, just delete the thread.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Urmil's Tips for a clean car:

1. Wash the car daily
2. Never drive the car
3. If you ever DO drive the car, immedialy wash AND wax the car upon arrival at your destination.

Keep in mind that the car is black (as is yours) so it may get dirty again before you finish washing the car the first time. So you may need to start over before you finish the first wash.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Just buy silver, it always looks clean.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

hahahah.....I drive my car DAILY. The Integra has been sitting in hiatus since early June.

I do leave my car dirty if I cannot get enough time to properly wash it. I DON'T use California dusters, or anything of the sort.

Wash using premium soap....it needs to lather enough to pick up and hold dirt, but not lather too much that it leaves a soapy residue on the paint.

After soaping up the car, I try and use a stream of water (rather than a spray) to rinse the car off. I rinse top to bottom.

I allow the car to drip dry as long as it's not too hot outside. I'm not so worried about spotting or anything since I will give the car a quick polish almost everytime I actually take time to wash the car properly.

I then use thin applicaiton of a very high quality wax (1Z Glanz Wax). It literally takes about 10 minutes to apply. I then let it sit until I'm ready to take the car out.

That's my quick 20 minute exterior detail.

**Before buying any of the products I use, if anyone is interested in seeing what it can do and its ease of use, you are more than welcome to make an "appointment" to come over and sample how it all works and makes your car look at my house.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Urmil, have you tried the Mr. Clean Autodry system?

I use it for quick washes, and it seems to work well.

I set it on spray, and rinse down the car, then switch over to wash and soap up the whole car. I then use a clean Microfiber Towel and use it to wash the car. I start from the top down, and go around the car in that way. Usually it's the lower parts of the car that are the dirtiest so I don't want to pick up that dirt and rub it into my hood. I then rinse the whole car with the spray, THEN switch to the filters final rinse and go over the whole car again.

Then I go back and clean the wheels. I have separate micofiber towels for the wheels because they get covered in brake dust. ( then go and dry any drips or spots that are still wet after all that.

Then I go back and make sure the windows and the mirrors are clean and dry. Water spotted mirrors are a pet peeve of mine.

I don't polish the car every time I wash it, but my car is silver
Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM

I have used the Mr. Clean system. I'll use it on any other car that is not black, or not mine. In my area, we have some unusually hard water, even with a heavy duty water softner filled with salt pellets. The Mr. Clean system just doesn't work well for me where I live.

I got a promotional system for free, used it, and then gave it to my dad for him to use in Schaumburg. He owns three black Lexus-es and they look pretty good for straight car washes and liquid wax applications.

I'm positive that I can make his cars "pop" if I had the time to work on his cars.

Pete, be careful of what kind of microfiber you use when washing. Microfiber holds onto particles pretty well, even when dipping the towel into the wash bucket, particles tend to get trapped into the weave. If you're washing with microfiber, make sure you're using a lower thread count weave.

I stick with a lambs wool mitt, or a medium surface hard sponge (both of which are readily available under the "Turtle Wax" name at Target and Walmart.

And as far as polishing the car each time, I wouldn't either if my car was any color lighter than black.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Luder94,Aug 9 2005, 06:01 AM
and makes your car look at my house.
haha, thanks dood, exactly what I needed for my all my blackness. (going on 3 black cars soon, and I was in a funk band for a while.)

I quoted something that I may have not read correctly, so our car is going to look at your house?

is that wax an apply only or do you have to rub it out? insert funny masterbayshun joke here.

Thanks dood.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use a pressure washer and a bar of soap.
Black cars are a bitch!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 AM

No...no, I was saying that before anyone goes out ot buy high end product, they can come over to the houes, and sample it. I typically have a full range of sh!t at my place. I have Zaino, Zymol, Mothers, 3M, Meuilar's, 1Z, and bunch of other stuff.

The wax I use is an apply and buff. I leave it on my car until it's ready to be driven. The more the oil content in the wax transfers over to my paint, the shinier and deeper the black looks.

Rubbing one out usually comes after long stares at my beauty or winning an award. See next post.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Quick Reply: Urmil's Car Washing Tips