Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

ticket for exhaust being too loud?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ticket for exhaust being too loud?

I was pulled over last week on may way home from work.. Quite pissed off i was as i was pulled over in a street block catching speeders a week ago. Anywho, I was pulled over because my exhaust was too loud.

After almost 3 years of the same system and daily driving to and from work, i get pulled over. I wasnt doing anything flashy and not hot dogging it, its after work and im damn tired, im usually under the speed limit as well. Cop had also stated "any modification to the stock exhaust is illegal".

Bull mofo sht, harley davidsons are loud as fk and there are tons of vehicles with aftermarket exhausts... Someone please tell me this really isnt going to happen the way the officer wants.

I want to fight this ticket to make a point but lack resources for it (lawyer). What can i do to prove this isnt a genuine citiation?

I wasnt given a Db reading off my exhaust, im not sure if that is required for a citation though....

seriously though, what can i do to get this ticket dropped?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure exactly what your askin.. Theres a million (not really) things you can do..

You can get a lawyer and citiation may change to something else. Still costs money.

You can goto to court and ask for supervison ; still cost money and day off of work..

Here's what I did... This was for my civic not s2k... I went to joe shmoes muffler shop had them patch up a hole or 2 that they found... They will always find something... Made them give me a receipt. Then I went to court I told the judge I apologize for not getting that checked sooner but it seemed I had a hole in my exhaust from rust I apologized for any inconvenience that I caused as it just happened this year .. "
I showed the judge my receipt and told her I had no idea that it had gotten louder.
Ticket dropped Case dismissed.

Last thing you could do is show up to court and pray officers not there and ticket will be dropped.

Thats a few things im sure there is more good luck..
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it considered a moving violation? Or was it just a fine u can mail in and pay... If it's just a fine I would save myself the hassle and just pay it.. I've been pulled over before for my exhaust and just got warning. Idk if I'm lucky or don't get the duesch cops, lol
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 AM

the cop is right, you can't put on aftermarket exhaust systems in IL. It's up to the cop to be a dick and actually enforce it which in this case he did. The only way you can get out of it is put the stock exhaust back on and take a picture. If it's a mail in ticket, attach the photo. If it's a moving violation, you're going to have to appear in court and show the judge. I've known people to take pictures of other people's stock car and just switch the plate if you don't want to re-install or don't have the stock exhaust. Just don't drive the car to the court house, lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM

Yeahhhh its against the law, its the same as going 2mph over, 99.99% of cops don't care, none the less you still broke the law.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I only thought it was illegal in IL to swap the cat out...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK,Sep 14 2010, 11:34 AM
Wow, I only thought it was illegal in IL to swap the cat out...
noob...

(625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)
Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I got pulled over about 2 months ago for the same reason. cop told me the exact same thing "any mod to exhaust is illegal" he let me go, didnt give a warning or anything. It depends on the cop. I had one pull me over for no front plate, compliment the exhaust and let me go without a ticket lol. GL
Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speed,Sep 14 2010, 12:33 PM
noob...

(625 ILCS 5/12‑602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑602)
Sec. 12‑602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P. A. 77‑37.)
Based on this it doesn't seem like it is inherently illegal. It's just that I've never heard an aftermarket exhaust that wasn't louder than stock.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That law also makes it sound like cars with oem bypass systems would also be illegal...

Quick Reply: ticket for exhaust being too loud?