Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Southeast MI people?

Old 10-15-2002, 03:03 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

The vast majority of Michigan driver's have big SUV's, Trucks, or Vans. These vehicles set high and therefore escape some of tons of salt that seems to get dumped when it's least needed and often isn't there when it should be. The low clearance of the S2000 makes it prone to all the salt and slush that's out there, as well as being a target for all the POS cars on the road. Bridgestone Blizzick's (spelling?) will be needed when it's icy or deep snow. We all can agree the stock tires are not designed for foul weather. It can go weeks with little to no snow, and then the crap can hit the fan. How much, when, and how often varies every year. So there's no easy answers. But its not a car that goes through a car wash easily, so you'd be hand washing it in 10 below or taking the chance of top damage, etc. Its your car and your call but like I said, I wouldn't put mine to that test.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, that's an interesting point... the car wash that is... you mentioned something about "top damage"... that's if you bring it to a car wash that uses brushes right?

Will a brush-free car wash work, or is there some issue that I don't know about and you S2000 owners do?

Thanks again!

Mikhal
Old 10-15-2002, 07:27 PM

Cars in Michigan drive around with a lot of salt on them once it starts being spread. That goes with the terrritory. There's no way around it. As long as the temperature stay below freezing the salt has little impact on the car. Once the temp's rise the rust bug starts crawling as the salty water starts splashing every where. Some cars can go ten years before it starts to show up but these are well built hard-top cars that get washed a lot and are well cared for.

If one has access to a heated garage where your convertible can be hand washed... that would be very useful -- just plan on doing it a lot.

Otherwise, the only options I know of are drive thru's with power washers, power brushes, or some material that acts like brushes, or do-it-yourself power wands and/or brushes. IMO none of these are good options since they will eventually break the seals on top, scratch the plastic rear window if you have, etc. With a 350Z for example, no problem.

I drove a Triumph Spitfire year round all through college. So it can be done. But it didn't cost $32k + tax and it didn't survive well either.

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind but at least your aware of some pitfalls now.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:14 PM

dlg04,

Thanks for the info... I don't think I could afford buying a beater just to drive it for the winter, so I think whatever car I end up buying (hopefully an S2000) will be my all-season ride.

I'm glad you all helped me out and informed me with what has to be done to take care of cars during the winter. I'd rather me over prepared than not at all.

Mikhal
Old 10-30-2002, 11:15 AM

Mikhal, a beater doesn't have to be expensive - just dependable. Keep your eyes open for a decent private owner sale and ask your local dealer to call you about cars they take in that may make a good bet for your POS purposes but would otherwise go to a wholesaler rather than their used car inventory (typically because of higher mileage).
Take a look at my sig. the LTZ is for my wife, the ZR2 I have for my daughter and the S goes in the garage.
Because, frankly, I can't afford yet ANOTHER car payment I picked up one of these "wholesale" pieces (read: HOOPTIE ) for $800 plus $350 in road-ready repairs. While it may not be the prettiest thing on the block, it also is in fair shape and well worth the piece of mind. There are four benefits to this strategy...
1. Storage insurance is a huge savings for the S, even after accounting for the PLPD for the hooptie.
2. I don't have to worry about the elements and damage to the S.
3. I save miles on the S.
4. I will appreciate the S all the more come spring!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:59 PM

escargo,

Speaking of keeping your eyes open... if you see any good used cars I may be interested. My daughter, who didn't have her eyes open, just totaled her '96 Nissan Altima last Friday. She's in her senior year at WMU and the car's over there; I quess she will out at the end of this week what its worth. If your interested in keeping an eye open, I can PM you with what she's got to work with when I find out. If not, that's ok too. Frankly, I'm tired of looking for nice cars for her and, well, lets just say this is not the first time.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:25 AM

i keep seeing some of you guys out on the road but im not driving the s2k cause its in storage for the winter. any type of signaling we can use to know who we are?
Old 11-15-2002, 09:05 AM

I am in the process of purchasing an S2000 also and live in Ann Arbor... It will be my daily driver as well... It will be garaged every day and if the weather is too bad Illl drive my 88 Mazda(barely runs) if needed. I've lived in Ann Arbor for close to 19 years and the winters are getting better and better every year as stated above... Im not reallly worried about driving it in the snow, Im just gonna have good snow tires & have to wash it in my garage every couple of days...

Also, try Suburban Honda & Howard Cooper best dealers in SE MI in IMHO...

-D
Old 12-24-2002, 12:04 PM

I have been in Michigan for five years now and used to buy a new hooptie every fall and sell it every spring, however I have grown used to the beeter and drove down to Dallas to pick up the untimate find: an Accord Wagon 5 speed...So it will be my "dailyshaggonwagonfamilytruckstertodrivewhenIamnot inmyS"

I highly recommend a hooptie in Michigan as well....
Old 12-27-2002, 06:06 AM

Even if you wash it everyday you can't get to the undercarriage and inside the wheel wells. plus driving the S2K with the top up is not the most fun in the winter, even with snow tires on.

Quick Reply: Southeast MI people?