Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Soft top rattle

Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top rattle

I've got this anoying rattle from the passenger side latch area. I tried using 303 on the rubber seals, but it seems like it's coming from the actual hardware.

I'm hoping when the hartop goes on later this month, I don't have the same problems

Can the latch be tightened easily?

thanks!
amul
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 AM

If you unhook your latch, underneath you will see a plastic piece. Thats what the rattle is. I stick a dab of some real thick grease in there to keep it from rattling. I works for about 6 months before I have to do it again.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 AM

Thanks Road Rash............BTW : great write up on the oil analysis a while back. Had a chance to look it over before switching to GMSMFM.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Is it coming from the latch (on the soft top) or the catcher (on the windshield frame)?

If it's coming from the catcher, there one of two things to look for. Make sure the catcher is secure; tighten any loose screws. The other thing to look for is to see if there's any undue wear on the leading edge of the catcher. The previous model years had soft metal catchers. They wore down and allowed the latch to rattle when it was in the locked position.

If it's coming from the latch. Make sure it is not loose on the roof frame. Make sure the hook on the latch is not overly wore down. Make sure the soft top doesn't need a re-adjustment on tension. Over time, it will need it. Make sure the driver side latch isn't pulling too tight...which in turn would loosen the "grab" on the passenger side catcher.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by naseeb,Sep 14 2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks Road Rash............BTW : great write up on the oil analysis a while back. Had a chance to look it over before switching to GMSMFM.
Whoops, I forgot to tell you, the oil writeup was not me, maybe it was Road Rage?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 AM
VAD

I'm sure it was Road Rage.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 AM

amul, just tighten the screw on the softtop catcher and youll be fine...btw pm sent
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM

Road Rage / Road Rash - it all ends in tears
Old 09-14-2005, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Luder94,Sep 14 2005, 07:24 AM
Is it coming from the latch (on the soft top) or the catcher (on the windshield frame)?

If it's coming from the catcher, there one of two things to look for. Make sure the catcher is secure; tighten any loose screws. The other thing to look for is to see if there's any undue wear on the leading edge of the catcher. The previous model years had soft metal catchers. They wore down and allowed the latch to rattle when it was in the locked position.

If it's coming from the latch. Make sure it is not loose on the roof frame. Make sure the hook on the latch is not overly wore down. Make sure the soft top doesn't need a re-adjustment on tension. Over time, it will need it. Make sure the driver side latch isn't pulling too tight...which in turn would loosen the "grab" on the passenger side catcher.
Urmil,

The rattle is coming from within the latch. The catcher does show some wear, but only the paint seems to be coming of the catcher. The top seems tight and balanced between the driver and passenger side when locking down. There is no wind noise.

You'll need to look at it the next time we hook up. I called the dealership and they said adjuting whatever to get the top tight again would be covered under warranty if I can't fix it easily....
Old 09-14-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe this weekend if we hook up with Dipak and Raj again.

Quick Reply: Soft top rattle