Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Route 66 Auto Cross

Old 04-03-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racing_Chris,Apr 3 2006, 08:22 AM
you can't push your car to its limits on a track without endangering your life. There is an enormous saftey factor if you're going to be responsible... so the way I look at it, you're just driving fast.
If you're not willing to lose control of your car pushing everything to the limits, you're just on a Sunday drive.
you just wrote an oxymoron.

by your own definition, because one is willing to lose control of the car on a track day, it is not just a "Sunday drive".

also by definition, driving itself is a huge enormous risk. i can die t'row on the dan ryan. better die on the track, than die on the ryan? and as others have mentioned in this thread, it's not ALL about the racing is it? cuz there are people (like me), who will never win trophies at an autocross. so taking that train of thought, maybe i don't want to road race and bang fenders, but still want the adrenaline rush, full utilization of my vehicle, self improvement, ad nauseam.

one should embrace both for what it is and not argue against the other. there are faults/positives to each based on your own life perspective.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ToeKneeC,Apr 3 2006, 09:53 AM] you just wrote an oxymoron.

by your own definition, because one is willing to lose control of the car on a track day, it is not just a "Sunday drive".
Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Racing_Chris,Apr 3 2006, 11:17 AM
But a track day is much different than a road race. You can't push yourself to the limit, and you can't push your car either. You can only go to the point to where you feel comfortable. You really just safely mimic racing... without actually getting to those limits of competition. Autocross you DO get to those limits... regularly.
I agree about track days NOT being a race. Some people to record their own times and you can compare them, but most people just use them to guage their own improvements.

However, I am not so sure about getting to the limit of the car. I will agree, that I don't get to the limit on every turn (or even TRY to get to the limit) on every turn, but there ARE safe places on the track to attempt to push the limit more and more. I have had my current track car for 1 season, and I did 5 or 6 track days last year. I managed to get 4 wheels off-track 3 times. Each time was because I was pushing the limit a little too much. I did not harm the car in any way.

Again, I enjoyed my Auto-X experience. I would do it again, but I would want more track time than just 5-6 runs. I realize that's not possible with the AutoX events in the area, but that's cool.

Also as noted, track days are more expensive.

And, just for the record, I burned through my brake pads, down to the backing plate, siezed one of the calipers and melted all four tie-rod ends because of their proximity to the rotor and the heat generated. This was with bone-stock brakes and occured within 3,100 miles (yes, 3 thousand, 1 hundred) and while I was at my second track event of the year. Sunday drive, my ASS!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by bartekb93,Apr 2 2006, 10:45 PM
Yup, you were stuck with me
well it worked out good for me...it's not every day you get to ride with and get advice from a national champion (or so i heard)! were you guys able to figure out what that noise was from the integra after you brought it home?

I will also point out for the record that i did instruct you to bring rain gear for Sunday, but did you listen... tongue.gif
haha, that is true. the only thing that was really bad was that my feet/shoes were soaked all day long. everything else dried out relatively quickly.

well, it looks like the weather will be 50+ and sunny on sunday...so if it's still like that by wednesday and there's still room left i'll sign up. good times.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by benighted,Apr 3 2006, 10:43 AM
well it worked out good for me...it's not every day you get to ride with and get advice from a national champion (or so i heard)! were you guys able to figure out what that noise was from the integra after you brought it home?

haha, that is true. the only thing that was really bad was that my feet/shoes were soaked all day long. everything else dried out relatively quickly.

well, it looks like the weather will be 50+ and sunny on sunday...so if it's still like that by wednesday and there's still room left i'll sign up. good times.
You have heard wrong. No national champion here.
The noise is still there - we haven't crawled under the car yet, something about it being a daily driver and work monday morning... Hopefull we'll sort it out this week before the 1st official event of the season.

/shameless plug:
SCCA-CR Event #1 4/9/06 -> http://scca-chicago.com/solo/index.html for online registration
/shameless plug off

Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 AM

damn way to destroy my thread

And as far as comparing an Auto Cross to a track day is stupid .... two completely different event/styles.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Yeah sorry about that.....

Cool vids, man.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bartekb93,Apr 3 2006, 10:56 AM
You have heard wrong. No national champion here.
The noise is still there - we haven't crawled under the car yet, something about it being a daily driver and work monday morning... Hopefull we'll sort it out this week before the 1st official event of the season.
well nevermind about that then, ha...i thought that's what your brother said. anyway, yeah hope you guys get that problem worked out, too. that'd be cool to get another ride or two in that. it really helped a lot to see what another driver does and compare that to my own runs.

Originally Posted by pushin9
haha, yeah good vids. i just got my new camera in today...i'll have to get some help from you on setting up a camera mount for my car. also, where were the places where you said you could buy them at? might be cool to have it in time for the dragon.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pushin9,Apr 3 2006, 12:40 PM
Eh, quit yer bitchin'

Haven't you heard: There is no such thing as bad press. An active thread, is a good thread.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
VAD

Good stuff, Greg.

Quick Reply: Route 66 Auto Cross