Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Route 66 Auto Cross

Old 04-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, i'm not doing 115-120 on the highway and i'm not going to make number of turns calculations for the exact reason why i'm not comparing track days to auto-x. It's pointless. From what you wrote above you can see how different those two activities (track days and auto-x) are.
Some prefer one, some prefer the other. Some have not done either and would like to try them both out...

Hopefully you'll make it to one of the auto-x this season so you can have some fun too, even if it's only 50sec. at a time, 6 times per weekend
Old 04-02-2006, 08:24 PM

^ hey you were my instructor right? i definitely had a lot of fun. wasn't exactly fast (111 out of 133) but i felt like i learned a lot. if the weather is good i'll probably come out next weekend...otherwise it'll have to wait til next time! totally sucked having to shag cones when it was 40*F and sharp rain was pelting me sideways, haha.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 PM

Hey Kevin,

Yup, you were stuck with me

You did great! You improved on each of the runs (no, time isn't the only measure of improvement) and worked at the things we talked about. This is what the school was about.

Don't look at the list as it stands and try to figure out where you stack up just yet. The instructors and helpers should be separate from the students if you really want to start comparing the results. Also, only half of the people in the 1st heat got dry runs so that throws things off even more. Then there's the AWD advantage in cold wather like we had over the weekend that comes into play and you haven't launched the car as hard as others so there's time to gain there too

I really wish we had better weather or at least the rain held off, but on the other hand, you can look at it as a great experience of wet driving... you know now what 1st gear tight turn and low grip will do

I will also point out for the record that i did instruct you to bring rain gear for Sunday, but did you listen...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=bartekb93,Apr 2 2006, 10:03 PM] Fixed that for you.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:34 PM

bartekb93
where could i find the standing or index from learning the curve class? coz one of the guy from SCCA told me that they'll post it here. but it seems i couldnt find it. thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 AM

They are right on the main page for SCCA-Chicago Region --> http://scca-chicago.com/solo/index.html

Indexed results --> http://scca-chicago.com/solo/2006/event0.html

Class results --> http://scca-chicago.com/solo/2006/im...t0_results.pdf

If you're planning to come on the 9th, better hurry up and register. There's 127 drivers registered for it now, almost 20 more than there was Saturday night Event cap is 170.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Real good time.

What a difference this thing is from my RSX-S. Can't wait to go almost every weekend.

My best time was 53.2-sec with a cone. 53.3 was my best clean run.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Apr 2 2006, 09:27 PM
2-3, I can't remember now. It was part of the Freshwater Tour '04 at the Tire Rack. We didn't have all day there, and it was really only open to the tour participants so it was not a "regular" event.

25 Turns with 5 runs (heck, let's go for all 6) == 150 turns

I was referring to the event I ran at the North track of the Autobahn Circuit. My best lap was a 1:21. Let's take out warm up and cool down and account for traffic issues by calling it 15 minutes for each session, and 1:25 per lap. That calculates out to 10.5 laps per session. The north track only had 9 turns. Multiply by 6 sessions and that is 567 turns.

If you managed to get 567 turns in on the highway on the way to the event, more power to you.

BTW -- I hit 115-120 at the end of the main straight on the north track. If you hit that on the highway on the way there, again, more power to you.
Here's the thing: you can't push your car to its limits on a track without endangering your life. There is an enormous saftey factor if you're going to be responsible... so the way I look at it, you're just driving fast.

Autocross means pushing the driver to his limits and taking the car with him. And you oftentimes exceed that limit.... spin out, knock over some cones, etc. For amateurs, it's the one place where you can really push it as hard as you want. Everything is very technical, and emphasis is highly placed on good form and making as few mistakes as possible. You're not trying to pass anyone, so you really can go as fast and hard as you can handle, and you're not trying to keep anyone behind you.

You can get the same thing from a road course, but you have a lot more up front costs in preparation and must be willing to assume a lot of risk. "Track Day" with Club "X" is not racing.... well, at least it's not a very competitive form of racing.

If you're not willing to lose control of your car pushing everything to the limits, you're just on a Sunday drive.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, Glendon (sp), Greg, Joe, Kai, Kev, etc. good to see y'all out there. wifi-tom, thanks for the instructions (and the borrowed jacket).

i sucked azz on Sunday and my times are just too embarrasing... unless the midwest somehow avoids rain the rest of the summer, and joliet moves closer to Chicago, i won't be back the rest of the year. i did have a blast tho (at least on Saturday).
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Apr 3 2006, 08:32 AM
i sucked azz on Sunday and my times are just too embarrasing... unless the midwest somehow avoids rain the rest of the summer, and joliet moves closer to Chicago, i won't be back the rest of the year. i did have a blast tho (at least on Saturday).
Dude, did you see my ranking??

The thing was: I never had much expectation going in and I knew I wasn't gonna push my car anyway... like my instructor said: well... the condition was just bad to begin with & the whole point was for us to learn how our cars handle and get comfortable with it..."

Besides, I did come in before a mustang, a S2000, a vette, and a SRT-4.... so in retrospect it's not bad!

Quick Reply: Route 66 Auto Cross