Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Roll Bar Install in Milwaukee?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Bar Install in Milwaukee?

So I purchased a Black 03 S2000 in spring of 2010. Attended a few autocross events and got bit by the track bug hard. What a great car to drive. Did several more autocrosses and then a track day at AutoBahn Country Club and Road America with MVP Tracktime.

Now that my new hobby is here to stay, need to make the car "safer" for track use. I've done some research and have decided on the Hard Dog roll bar with double diagonals, and a harness bar. I'm relatively handy in terms of doing brake jobs, valve adjustments, etc, but after looking at the roll bar install sheet online, I think this may be beyond my experience level.

My question, does anyone here have any experience with installing a roll bar in an S2000 and be willing to lend some time over a weekend to assist? My biggest worry is removing and reinstalling the soft top.

Or any shops in town they recommend? Since this would cost more, prefer not to, but may not have an option. I know KingMotorsports is close by and need to ask what they would charge.

Safety is first so I want to make sure I get installed correctly, but money is also a factor. Had a hard enough time trying to convince the wife this was necessary!!

Also, will be looking for 2 fixed back race seats and 2 6pt harnesses. I'll post in the WTB section, but if anyone has something used, check out the WTB section. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, let me welcome you to the community!

I know a number of members here have experience installing roll-bars, so I'll wait and see which ones would be interested in lending a hand. While I haven't done a roll bar install, I've removed and re-installed soft-tops (I MUCH prefer to do a full top/frame/motor swap) a number of times, and if the time allows, I would certainly be willing to lend a hand.

I plan on doing some NASA events this year, and I certainly will be out there autocrossing with the WCMC, so hopefully I'll see ya out there this season.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Give King a call and ask for Mike Linquist (Big Mike). I go there for all of the stuff I cannot do myself (which isnt much)

I'd offer my garage to do this, but I already have a huge project on my hands.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:29 PM

I have the Hard Dog roll bar w/ removable diagonal and harness bar. I installed most of it myself because the quote I received from the shop was nearly the cost of the roll bar itself. I did get a little help aligning the roll bar to the mounting holes, but most of the work can be done solo.

Installation is not too bad as long as you have tools, and I recommend a die grinder to cut the slot in the wheel well for the backing plate. If you don't have access to air tools, a Dremel might work but I found it to be tedious and time consuming. Also, I'm not sure if the instructions for installing the double diagonals are different from mine, but I didn't have to remove my soft top to install my roll bar.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone. I'll be giving King a call next week to get a quote. If the quote starts to equal the cost of the bar, I'll look into the "do it yourself" option.

Chris, thanks for the information on installing your Hard Dog roll bar. I'll be calling the Hard Dog fabricator to understand which roll bars require soft top removal. Thought all did, but guess not. May just need to buy a few tools and make a weekend out of it.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think soft top needs removal. The center console and possibly the stock roll hoops.

Might want to double check that you have brackets for stock seatbelts if you're removing the stock roll hoops.

If you're just removing and not reinstalling a bunch of the interior, it takes about half the time to install.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest part of this job is cutting / fitting all of those plastic pieces back into the car to fit around the roll bar. That is where the time / cost will come in if you have a shop do this job for you.

If I had to do it again I would strip out all of the plastic parts rear of the seats along with the soft top. Install a Hard Dog bar without the removable pieces and bolt a hardtop place. Put all of the pieces I removed in storage for when I want to convert the car back to stock.

This would be more in the direction of a pretty serious track car though and that may not be what you are looking for. But let me warn you as you head down the path of making this car safe and fast for the track it will be less desirable to drive on the street.

^^^^^^
I grabbed the photo from Bethnia's web site. I beleive this is the bar you have purchased.

Here are a couple of pics from my install. I was lucky to have the help of Greg aka Pushin9 to get it installed. Though I had to reinstall the roll hops and trim pieces my self. I must have put 10 plus hours on that puzzle.

This bar was later sold to Chris S2K along with all of the plastic trim pieces cut to fit.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the pics and info everyone. I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 AM

so you gonna tackle it yourself?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Will probably enlist the help of a friend who is a lot more mechanically inclined than I am for the mounting and cutting part. After doing some more searching, really doesn't look too bad.

Also, won't be installing the factory roll hoops and bulkhead so that will cut down on some time consuming work. Trying to confirm with Bethania, but don't believe the bulkhead can be used with a lowered harness bar anyways without some serious modifications.

Looks like 3Balls Racing is heading to Gingerman April 23rd and MVP is heading to Putnam Park April 16th and 17th so want to have everything done by then. Probably won't do both, but will certainly do one of them. Looks like a few people from the Midwest are planning on Gingerman.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Install in Milwaukee?