Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

question for people with vented cf hood...pete/lee

Old 03-06-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ryan - as pete mentioned, I have rain channels with my hood, although I choose not to have them installed.

As for washing the car, I always give the engine bay a quick wipe over afterwards, but you would be surprised how little water actually touches anything in there.

I dont cover the vents at all (and I dont run any mesh in the vents either), and my car is washed normally and has been left outside all night in downpours.

No issues whatsoever.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by S2000GT,Mar 6 2006, 06:31 PM
ryan - as pete mentioned, I have rain channels with my hood, although I choose not to have them installed.

As for washing the car, I always give the engine bay a quick wipe over afterwards, but you would be surprised how little water actually touches anything in there.

I dont cover the vents at all (and I dont run any mesh in the vents either), and my car is washed normally and has been left outside all night in downpours.

No issues whatsoever.
Same here. I act as if it were my normal hood. A wipe down is neccessary to stop water spots after a wash.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:02 AM

Thanks...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:45 PM

i've read every post in here and i guess i just need to try it out for myself to see. ill just put it on and hope for no disaster to happen. thanks for the post guys.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not directly put water on my hood. I just scrub it with a wet microfiber then add soap with a different towel. Never thought of towels tho..
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lethals2000,Jun 13 2010, 03:45 PM
i've read every post in here and i guess i just need to try it out for myself to see. ill just put it on and hope for no disaster to happen. thanks for the post guys.
The Seibon and VIS hoods do not come with rain channels or gutters; as stated by S2000GT above.

His hood had covers that fit on the underside of the hood to block the vents. Aside for only a couple of designs, no vented hood has openings over any sensitive components unless you're running with an OEM intake box with the top off.

There should be little to no worries about water soaking anything in the engine bay at this point. People have been running vented hoods on the S2000 for well over 6 years on these boards with no rumblings of anything serious happening....I've had my Mugen hood for a little over 8 years (Mugen hood was designed with proper rain channels, FYI).
Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM

thanks luder94 for clearing it up... much appreciated.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, been lurking in here since I'm visiting the Indy area for a couple weeks.

I have the Top Secret hood as well and can say nothing but great things about the hood. I do recommend using the rain guards if its outside, especially during severe weather but I had driven in some crazy storms before, with the guards off, and still hardly any water was in the engine bay. I'm just more concerned with my header getting wet when its hot, but cooled off, no worries then.

So you should be fine with your hood, even if it does not have the guards. Just be careful where you spray the hood when washing, thats all.

-Jeremy
Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM

ok, i know you guys have said over and over again that the rain will not do anything under the hood with these vent not blocked, well tell me this. Even if the water get on the fuse box in front of the battery it won't do any damage. please clearify or is on top of any wire harness. lmk please. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by BNB,Mar 3 2006, 06:29 PM

I got the rain gaurds with mine. I have NEVER installed them. Mind you since i've had my hard top on i've gone through the touchless wash. No adverse effects whatsoever.
Oh, I have a Top Secret hood.
Hey if you ever want to sell you Rain gaurds let me know. I have a Top secret hood as well but I never got the rain gaurds.

Quick Reply: question for people with vented cf hood...pete/lee