Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Question about repainting my car?

Old 02-13-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about repainting my car?

I'm planning on repainting my front and rear bumper and I was wondering if I'll be satisfied with the color match since I own silverstone...

Also, does repainting my bumper mean I'm more prone to rock chips vs. oem paint?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM

I repainted my bumper and didn't have any problems with rock chips.

Silverstone seems to be a tough color to match. You may want to ask Lee and Pete about that.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had very good results with Huntley Collision Center. They matched my Silverstone everytime I took it to them. I was never dissapointed by the color match after I picked up my car (ie, I never had to take it back to get it redone to rematch the color.)

I believe the aftermarket paint is better than the factory paint. I have found the factory paint to be pretty thin and soft.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Silverstone is just about impossible to match. I had my front bumper painted three times and it still is not perfect. The had to be mixed between standard silvertone and alternate 1. There are 5 alternates for silverstone, so make sure they do a sprayout to match the color before just diving in and painting it. As, for the durability it is going to be the exact same as OEM as long as it is prepped properly. Most shops will paint 2 coats of color and 2-3 coats of clear dependant on the color. That is what you are going to want to get the paint to match and help with reducing chips. If the paint has several coats like show cars do the overall thickness of the paint will be alot thicker making paint easy to knick and chip. Just find a good shop and make sure that they have a satisfaction guarantee to ensure that you get the quality you want.

There is no doubt the place Pete takes his car does a good job. The work looked great and it is one of the best color matches I have seen on silverstone.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 AM

with all of the above. As you know Pete and I both use the same place, and luckily they know our cars now. There is no using a "color code" there. They have different mixes on the shelf - actually theres a mix for my car and a mix for Petes - as even between the two cars the variation in "silverstone" from the factory is immense!

Dont EVER get those bumpers painted off the car.
Dont EVER let a bodyshop paint using the Honda color code.

I have seen some bad work done using the above methods - when silverstone isnt matched properly it is really noticable.

If you have the extra funds available, its always advisable to get the parts blended into the fenders so that the match is even better. Its going to cost more, but its worth it - especially with our color being such a b!tch!

Most of all, dont be afraid to tell the shop youll reject it if it is wrong.

I have to say, I am extremely happy with the work that HCC have done on my car. They offer excellent quality and and good prices too. Best of all they offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the work - if you arent happy - take it back.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 AM

Off topic, would love to see all 3 ^^^ silverstone side by side. Looking great fellas
Old 02-14-2006, 05:53 AM

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Huntley Collision did an EXCELLENT job paint matching the wife's car's front bumper (off the car, and NO blending).

However, the wife's car is a more straight up silver than the Silverstones (it's closer to Sebring than Silverstone). Silverstones seem to have more metal content in them that makes them harder to match (dependent on humidity, angle of spray, nozzle on the sprayer, distant the piece was shot at, how the paint dries, etc.).

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny2000,Feb 14 2006, 09:46 AM
Off topic, would love to see all 3 ^^^ silverstone side by side. Looking great fellas
Come out to HIN.

Some old pics of both mine, and Nick's car though:

Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM

Pete, your car looks so tall compared to the others.

Quick Reply: Question about repainting my car?