Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

problem

Old 02-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem

ok this only refers to year 2000 owners, did you guys read about the bulletin about gear grinding, shifting to second gear at high rpm? Well, that shit happened to me and I'm pretty disappointed. I went to a Honda dealer and no warranty was available for my car since my car is at about 38K miles already. Anyone got any suggestions as to what can be done about this?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM

this is the info u need

Service Bulletin 00-055: Grinding When Shifting Into 2nd Gear
This service bulletin addresses the transmission intermittently grinds when shifting into 2nd gear at high engine rpm problem.

TSB 00-055.pdf

its a recall they have to fix it. what dealership did u go to.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to copy and paste this post I made:

Short story all 00-05s will have intermittant grinds due to syncro/trans design. The only aid is frequently changing the fluid, and or finding one fluid that does not make your shifter notchy.

If Honda MTF does not hold up many use GM syncromesh, and Redline.

There has been long debate about the longevity and problems of the 00-03 trans on this car. The biggest complaint is the 2nd gear grinds, people losing 5-6 gear, and reverse not working. The reverse issue is unrelated to this this info.

I found this info hunting around, it makes 100% sense, and also explains why the car responds so well to "oil-change-Like" interval trans fluid changes, every 3-5K. Also why the GM Syncromesh trans fluid works well.

According to many owners and technical people inside Honda the S2000 00-03 S2000 tranmission has had it's share of problems.

One of the main issues has been gear grinds, and loss of use of 2nd 5th and 6th gear.

Most people who have driven manual transmission tend to skip gears from lets say 4th to 6th. This would be fine on almost all manual transmission, but not in the s2000s case.

3 4 5 6 shifter mechanism on the s2000 are not on the input shaft (mainshaft), but on the output (countershaft). The countershaft is alway locked to the wheels and does not slow with the engine.

And in wherever the shifters are, the mainshaft will not slow to zero when the clutch is disengaged and the shfter in neutral. The countershaft is driven by the wheels. All gears remain in mesh at all times (but uncoupled from one shaft or the other).
FROM

Development of a new six-speed manual transmission
JSAE Review, Volume 21, Issue 2, April 2000, Pages 247-248

JSAE20004052 or 0389-4304.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

This tranny is designed differently than most trannies. Two things were done in the design to "ensure an exhilarating and quick shifting performance that meets the drivers spirited operation".

1) Normal manual transmissions have a gear reduction prior to transmitting the power to the gear selection, thus reducing the rotational speed of the gears and shafts and synchros. The S2000 transmission has the gear reduction after the gear selection. Thus the gears and shafts and synchros have a higher rotational speed. So skipping gears will be harder on the synchros of this transmission than most.

2) The S2000 transmission was designed to keep the number of number of synchro cones to a minimum. "It is impossible to ensure gear-shift exhilaration only by increasing the synchromizer capacity through the use of a multi-cone, because the shift knob load is not reduced to a satisfactory level".

The engineering of this transmission put a higher emphasis on exhilarating feel and quick performance rather than making it bulletproof.

Quotes are from SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Technical Notes "Development of a new six-speed manual transmission", by K. Kitajima, Engineering Development Department 4, Honda R&D.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0389-4304(99)00085-5
Old 02-24-2005, 09:48 AM

So it is the design of the transmission that is the problem, they traded longevity for awesome shifter feel.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Touge Master,Feb 24 2005, 01:42 PM

its a recall they have to fix it. what dealership did u go to.

A TSB is NOT a recall. It's a notation to all dealerships that this problem exists and how to address it. It a Bulletin to the dealership and should NOT be confused with a recall.

Recalls are USALLY related to a safety item and you would get a mailing to your house regarding the information.

I agree with Dezoris (did I just say that out loud? ) change the tranny fluid and see if that improves your feel.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 AM

If you are miffed about it as Pete said the dealers don't have to do anything and certainly won't namely for a manual transmission grind.

If changing fluids does not help, please do the following.

Knowing that the grinds are caused by design issues, may help in writing a letter to Honda custome service.

Yes writting, do not call them as they will do nothing.
Make sure you take it to a dealer first to get it documented.

Prepare all the documentation for the letter stating exactly what you would like Honda to do.

This is the only way.

I have had to do this with other parts on Hondas and it takes months, sometimes also writing to the BBS, and Honda to get a resolution.

It even says that in your warranty statement from Honda.
Do it if you are not happy, be prepared to wait however.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:11 AM

k, I will try out the transmission fluid then if worse comes to worse I will write a letter to cs @ Honda. Thanks u guys for the info...that was great help! =)
Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 PM

I actually had the dealer look at it! and they said it was my floormat that was causin probs and it was stuck behind the clutch or something! hahaha I was like yeah whatever...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ap1chick,Feb 24 2005, 01:08 PM
I actually had the dealer look at it! and they said it was my floormat that was causin probs and it was stuck behind the clutch or something! hahaha I was like yeah whatever...
Nobody will ever tell you it is a design flaw because Honda marketing said their pressurized lunbrication system will keep that trans running for years.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ap1chick,Feb 24 2005, 10:06 AM
ok this only refers to year 2000 owners, did you guys read about the bulletin about gear grinding, shifting to second gear at high rpm? Well, that shit happened to me and I'm pretty disappointed. I went to a Honda dealer and no warranty was available for my car since my car is at about 38K miles already. Anyone got any suggestions as to what can be done about this?
I think I read somewhere that this is a TSB that isn't a warranty issue but a manufacture defect.

Quick Reply: problem