Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

New MI Owner, Need Shop Recommendations

Old 05-24-2001, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MI Owner, Need Shop Recommendations

I've just moved to the Detroit area (I'm in the process of purchasing a house in Royal Oak) from Austin, TX. Y'all might see me in a red/black cruising between Dearborn (work) and Royal Oak.

Can someone familiar with shops in the Detroit area give me some recommendations for the following:

1. Good Dealership for recall/warranty work.

2. Good shop for minor work (alignments, tire balancing, oil changes, etc)

3. Good body shop (high quality work, don't care if it is expensive)... *Dependable* Auto Shippers wasn't so dependable when they scraped the front bumper getting the car on and off their flatbed trucks.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2001, 07:36 AM

Cool, Welcome to Detroit, the land of automobiles. Anyway, I can answer some of your questions and hope I can help.

1. I don't know a good Honda dealership, but I can tell you not to go to Troy Honda. I had a terrible experience with them and they are still not admitting it is their fault. Long story.

2. There are two places that I go for best alignment jobs. One is Monk's. They are is Pontiac (north of Royal Oak) on M-59 West of Telegraph road. The other is Auto Europe. They are on Woodward Ave between 14 miles and 15 miles.

3. Go to Autometrics Royal Oak (248-398-0200), or Autometrics Southfield (248-353-9100). They are the best in the area. They have painted my BMW several times and they did such a awesome job. The new manager in Royal Oak (ooops, I forgot about his name). The new manager in Southfield is Andy. I recommand go to Southfield first. That is a brand new shop. and, all the good people are there.

Hope this will help.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:37 AM

From what I hear, AutoMetrics (AutoMetrix?) is the premier auto body company in the area. However they tend to have a long wait.. but if you can wait a few weeks to get your car in, everyone I've ever talked to about Audi's say they are the best! No first hand experience (as they ended up totalling the Audi, so no repairs were necessary )

I'll also second Stealthy's reccomendation for Munk's Motors in Waterford. Chris Braden (shop owner) is a really great guy, and his team does top notch work. I had my Audi in for an alignment (among other service) and the Alignment tech went so far as to call me in Florida to discuss what I wanted to use the car for so he could set it up just right! Great service!! http://www.munks.com/

Welcome to Michigan!!

[Edited by Apex76A2 on 05-24-2001 at 08:40 AM]
Old 05-24-2001, 03:42 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Welcome to MI. As for a dealership, my first impressions are very good for Sunshine Honda in Plymouth. I purchased a Honda from them years ago when I lived in Clarkston, but I have no first hand recent information except when I purchased the S2k there. The salesman, David Wenger, owned an S2k and the service adviser, Scott Cope, who autox's vw's (as I recall) both made a favorable impression. They both went out of their way to researched tech bullletins, called a Chicago dealer, AHM, etc. to resolve my concerns over the #4 cylinder issues. I'd like to hear of anyone elses experiences there or at other dealers.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:14 PM

Troy collision did a great job straightening and repainting my wife's bumper on her Odyssey. Car was in the shop only 3 days and they matched the paint perfectly. They have been in business for many years and are reputable. They also include a written warranty on their work.

[Edited by John MI blk/blk '01 on 05-30-2001 at 05:31 PM]
Old 05-30-2001, 12:22 PM

I will second that vote for Sunshine Honda in Plymouth. They have worked on all my cars and done a great job. Scott is the service manager there...good guy.