Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

My first speeding ticket in Wisconsin

Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first speeding ticket in Wisconsin

I got my first speeding ticket in Wisconsion a couple of weeks ago in Brookfield.

I was doing a 43 in a 30, of course this is that one moment where I didn't have my radar on me.

So what are my options in Wisconsin?

Its a 4 point ticket.

Can someone recommend me a lawyer?

If I pay the fine outright will it go on my insurance, i.e. make my insurance go up?

Can I take defensive driving?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a lawyer. I think u pay less than $200 then they move it to a non moving violation. So day off work ? $200 for lawyer , and $75 non moving violation ... But u get to keep ur points. Just wait a couple seconds and your mailbox will be flooded with lawyers numbers.. Its pretty sad.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM

My info from past experience here in Wis:

1. You can go to court yourself, ask for discussion and talk with court person that day. They will most likely reduce points to a 3 point violation but keep the fine as is. It's about the money.

It will show up on license as 3 point with a under 10 over speed if they do the above. The insurance will see it that way too, if they check your record. And yes your insurance will go up.

Wis has a traffic safety class, I took it twice for tickets.
The class will not remove the ticket from your record, but it will give you back three points if you need it.
You are allow 12 points of violations in a single years time. After one year after your ticket I believe the points are then give back or removed depending how you look at it. So unless you have a lot of ticket then you may not need to take the class.

2. You can get a lawyer however that will probably just get you the same as above but cost you money.

Hope this helps.

By the way radar detector doesn't help much here. The cops use Laser more then radar in Wi. So when the detector goes off it's already to late for you.
I have a laser jammer and it works too.

Keith
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Really your only chance is to plead your first ticket. Get it reduced to a moving violation which will knock the points down and not be as hard on your insurance i beleive.

12/yr
Resets every year
Traffic court is 3 pts
When you hit 12 points, suspended for 6 months.

Fun Fact: Your license WILL be suspended before you getting a letter about it happening. Found this out after I got a ticket for driving while suspended.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Wow, speeding has sharp penalties here.

Oddly enough I haven't gotten any letter from lawyers yet, I was hoping to, and its been a few weeks now.

Aquatic, yes your absolutely right about radar detectors, when lasered you only have a second to react anyways.

So are laser jammers legal in Wisconsin?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 AM

From my experience(I had an "Excessive Speeding" ticket) even if you go to court and the judge changes the fine to a non-moving violation, insurance still sees what you were initially written up for. I may have been screwed over a little, because I didn't even look at my options, but when I went to court the judge changed the tickets to "only" 19 over so my license wouldn't be revoked, but when I applied with a new insurance company, they saw the "Excessive Speeding" on my record.

A lawyer may be able to do something, and if so, regardless of their fees, I say do it. My insurance has kept me out of so many cars I've wanted to own, including an S2k for the time being.

Good luck and let me know what you find as a solution
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Get a lawyer.

You can make pretty much anything into an "interference with sign or signal". I turned a reckless driving into this. It's a 0 point ticket in WI and IL doesn't recognize it.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Anyone have lawyers they recommend?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Every time i have gotten a ticket i get court supervision. It doesn't go on your insurance and is like 175 total... Not sure if they have that in WI
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by myslow1,Apr 21 2010, 02:38 PM
Every time i have gotten a ticket i get court supervision. It doesn't go on your insurance and is like 175 total... Not sure if they have that in WI
Same here i got a speeding ticket back in November for 75 in a 40. went to court and the lady judge was so nice. she said just pay the ticket, i got 3 months supervision and she said she wasnt going to report it to my insurance. I felt like i owed her dinner

Quick Reply: My first speeding ticket in Wisconsin