Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

My car got keyed =(

Old 04-23-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car got keyed =(

My car was keyed today. It sucks being pissed and not being able to do anything about it. Anyways, I'm sure many of you have had your cars keyed by these damn haters. Where do you guys recommend I take my car to get it fixed?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man, I had my Talon keyed back in high school

I would just find a local bodyshop you trust and have them repair it. I'm sure the local Chicago guys can give you shop suggestions.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:17 PM

aren't you the one whos girlfriends car was keyed by your ex-girlfriend (her cousin)

You find another girl or something?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 AM

Nah, I'm still with the same girl. I don't think it's the ex who keyed my car either. It was random.

If I get this done through insurance, will my rates go up? Do I need to get a police report?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that your rates should not go up because it would be filed as a comprehensive claim not a collision claim (accident related). It is similar to a hail damage claim, you're rates don't go up because it was not accident related. You might want to double check though. You should get a police report so you have the proper documentation if and when your insurance asks.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Easy way to separate claim types: Ask yourself whether your claims agent is going to ask you to have a police report on hand for your claim.

Typically, stuff lik ehail damage, wind damage, flood damage won't need a police report. Stuff like an accident, theft, and vandalism will require a report. That's not to say that you can get a away with filing and getting payment on a claim without submitting a police report.

If you ask my opinion, yes this claim should increase the risk factors the ins. companies have to use to insure you and your car. Some factors they use are your living situation, what locale you live in, your age group, your past claims, etc.

I suggest getting a quote before you make any claim. If you can cover the cost of the damage on your own and is near or less than what you'll be paying of your deductible, than I suggest paying it out your pocket. In the long run, the extra you may eventually pay in insurance premiums isn't worth this one claim.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll get a quote, police report and then talk to the insurance company. Anyone have suggestions on body shops around NW suburbs? Or know any body shops to stay away from?

Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

If that's your scratch...and is only on your rear quarter, I'd get the estimate only.

Get that taken care of on your own dime. I wouldn't even tell my ins. company or get a police report made that it sits somewhere only to be used against you down the road if it ever does.

That isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.