Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Are more clubs requiring a roll cage to track?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are more clubs requiring a roll cage to track?

I been searching for an answer but what I have came up with is that every year the SCCA rule is getting more strict.

Stock hoops were fine, then a roll bar was required and now I was told a roll cage is required.

While I can understand the safety and insurance purposes, I just dont plan to track that heavely to want to install a roll cage.

I would happily install a roll bar, but is it even worth it anymore? Are there still clubs out there who will let me on a road course with just that?

Also are the stock hoops ok for most autox courses?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock hoops are 100% okay for autocross and always will be. Take the miata for example. One of the most autocrossed cars and they don't even have roll hoops.

I've never had a problem getting on track with stock roll hoops. Can you cite who is requiring them? I can see the need when wheel-to-wheel racing, but most HPDE's (high performance driving events) and driving schools don't require them. The only clubs I think require roll bars for non-competative events are clubfr (drifting) and BMWCCA (I secretly think they do this so the z3/z4 owners don't feel they wasted $20K when passed by an s2000).

In fact, I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket rollbar for a street driven s2k.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

AFAIK, most AutoX are fine with the stock roll-hoops.

There are a few organizers that will let an S2000 run without aftermarket roll-over protection. I believe this IS dwindling due to insurance requirements.

There are those that will allow for an aftermarket roll bar, but you will likely be required to pass the "broomstick test." Which if I understand it correctly, is that the top of your helmet must be 2-3" BELOW a broomstick resting on your windshield hoop and your roll bar.

I have not heard of a requirement for a full-cage (yet.)
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Well Audi Club of Chicago (and north america) have this on their site. I also talked to the organizer who said they go with SCCA rules.

[QUOTE]Convertibles at Driving Schools:
The current guideline is the minimum recommendation set by ACNA.
Any track venue or ACNA Chapter may at their discretion set more stringent recommendations.

The recommended minimum guideline for consideration beginning January 1, 2006:

No convertibles will be allowed to participate at any ACNA driving school that takes place at a "race track" - This includes TTs, Boxsters, BMWs etc.
Vehicles with factory roll hoops and / or deployable roll over protection will not be allowed.

The above excluded vehicles will be allowed to participate at the following venues were maximum speed is not to exceed 50 MPH;

Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM

I saw Pat's post after mine, and I was going to mention that the Audi Club also requires roll-bars.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM

^ They telling me that roll bar isnt enough anymore. They requiring a full cage.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

I ran with the Audi club two years ago, and they had THE most restrictions of anyone I have EVER run with. They are like California when it comes to Emmission standards for the country. Which implies that other clubs are probably going to be getting more restrictive in the future.

I wonder if they require a full cage for the TT's.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Feb 21 2008, 05:20 PM
I ran with the Audi club two years ago, and they had THE most restrictions of anyone I have EVER run with. They are like California when it comes to Emmission standards for the country. Which implies that other clubs are probably going to be getting more restrictive in the future.

I wonder if they require a full cage for the TT's.
The TT's rollhoops, from what I heard, are useless. Personally, I don't think roll protection is necessary at hpde level. Not that my opinion really matters, but hpde is as safe as you make it. As long as organizers and instructors keep people in line, the chance of rolling over is extremely remote. IMO
Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All:

You are going to see more and more groups require full cages or at a minimum a roll hoop for convertibles. A good many BMW clubs won't allow ANY convertible, roll carge or not in their events. One of their chapters refunded a friends entry fee to Mid-Ohio because his Lotus Esprit has a removable sunroof (not glass either).

We (www.MVPTrackTime.com) are, for now, continuing to allow S2000 into our events with no extra roll bars because, like the Porsche Boxster, the S2000 owners manual states in the event of a rollover the windscreen will support the weight of the car. That being said, we highly suggest you install the extra roll protection for your own safety.

Happy Motoring!

Mark Pfeffer - MVP Track Time
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Does anyone know SCCA's policy for our cars?

Quick Reply: Are more clubs requiring a roll cage to track?