Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Mobil 1 Oil

Old 11-15-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Oil

I read a case study on Mobil One oil. Some guy ran this stuff for 18K miles .Along the way he would take samples every 1K mile and send it in for analysis. The amazing thing was the analysis showed that scientifically the oil was considered "clean" even with the % of contaminants at 18K miles.......

I don't plan on leaving this oil in for more than 4K miles . If I left it in for 18K, I would only be changing the oil every 18months.

My question is:

I could careless about the longevity, what I want to know is ,from experience, does this oil make the engine run like the "day after oil change feel" for 3K miles?

After regular oil changes, the smooth engine feel goes aways after a couple 100 miles. I want to make sure my $4/qt is worth the difference.

Thanks.
Amul
Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 AM

The only thing I have ever noticed just after an oil change with M1 is my engine seems a touch quieter for a few days.

$4 a quart is quite a bit of money, I just sleep better knowing it's in there!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by naseeb,Nov 15 2005, 10:04 AM
I read a case study on Mobil One oil. Some guy ran this stuff for 18K miles .Along the way he would take samples every 1K mile and send it in for analysis. The amazing thing was the analysis showed that scientifically the oil was considered "clean" even with the % of contaminants at 18K miles.......

I don't plan on leaving this oil in for more than 4K miles . If I left it in for 18K, I would only be changing the oil every 18months.

My question is:

I could careless about the longevity, what I want to know is ,from experience, does this oil make the engine run like the "day after oil change feel" for 3K miles?

After regular oil changes, the smooth engine feel goes aways after a couple 100 miles. I want to make sure my $4/qt is worth the difference.

Thanks.
Amul
Stick with convention dino oil and do your changes between every 3500 and 5000 miles.

I did switch to Mobil 1 full synthetic at one point early in my car's life. The motor was more quiet, and it ran smooth. For many reasons pointed out in the "Under the Hood" forum, I ended up switching back to conventional oil.

With conventional oil, the motor was louder. I didn't like it, until I gassed the car. The motor seemed to rev more freely and had a bit more of a "kick in the pants" feel to it.

I've been using conventional for the driving season, and a blend during the winter (when I used to drive it). Aside from the money I've saved in not buying a synthetic oil over buying conventional, I've also put on a solid 70,000 miles on the motor with no major issues.

My .02.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walmart Mob 1 10w30 5 qt bottle: $20.xx
walmart Mob 1 5w30 5 qt bottle: $25.xx

i'm not really sure why... that said... i bought Mob1 10w30 for next week's oil change... cuz i'm a cheap bastard...

i FEEL like the F20C is already a pretty friggin loud motor... perhaps it's meant to add to the visceral feel of the car tho that point is neither here nor there.

the PO used M1, i'm gonna continue to use M1, and the walmart price is right. 5K oil changes @ $20/5 quart is more, but relatively not THAT much more, than $1.50/qt for delvac or castrol gtx.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 AM

What about filters.......

Should I stick with FRAM ( always been using this brand for all my cars)?

Or should I pay the extra $$ and buy Mobil 1 filter too? Are the more expensive filters any better, less restrictive in flow?

I'm also skeptical about the added benfits of synthetic. Train of thought might be that if it costs more , it must be better. I have to try this out once myself to prove the point. I agree with Urmil that frequent oil changes @ 1.50 quart will be as good as using synthetic but I can't find my Walmart receipt.

Tony,

I think we need to use 10W30 in our car. It works in our favor that it's $5 cheaper.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Filters....another long discussed topic on the Under the Hood forum. There's a thread there that points to some site on the internet. The creators of that site cut open all the major filters on the market just to see what they were made of literally.

They showed that some of the "higher end" filters were nothing more than rebadged and recolored paper filters that you could buy branded as NAPA filters. I think they showed the stock Honda filter was pretty damn good, as were some of the mid-level marketted filters. One was the Purolator Pure ONE filter. That's the one I use....although I suggest sticking with the Honda OEM if it's convenient for you.

For me, there's a Walmart right across the street that stocks the Pure One filter and is open almost anytime I'm awake. Honda parts isn't as close or available to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
purolator > * dollar for dollar... use fram at your own risk.

but.. WALMART is still the great white evil...
Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 AM

Anyone elses s been burning oil? I find i go through a little less than a court every 3,000 miles.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by darrins01spa,Nov 16 2005, 06:24 AM
Anyone elses s been burning oil? I find i go through a little less than a court every 3,000 miles.
I thought I was bad at spelling, but this has to be the funniest
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 AM

Stuff happens when you type fast. So have you noticed the same?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil