Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Lowered in Chicago?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered in Chicago?

for the guys that are lowered and drive all over Chicago- do you guys scrape on everything?

i do a bunch of Chicago driving and i was thinking about picking up some espelir springs but i tend to drive over quite a bit of speed bumps on sidestreets and the occasional steeper parking lots. i do not have a lip however on my 06

on another note - i dont drive through snow lol i drive something else then
Old 12-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldnt scrap if you know how to drive. youll learn to take care when care is needed. my previous car was slammed int he front and i knew where i could drive and where i couldnt. i knew where to slow down and where i could speed. its all trial and error.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM

im droped an in, i drive every day prolly 35 miles a day and i hit some stuff some time like when im pulling up or off a ramp, but i learned not to scrap any part or my F/bumper, by sharp turning b4 you get on or of a ramp, remembering where the bumps are on the streets that i drive on the most etc.. but yea i dont hit or scrap my S anymore.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had espiliers (and a body kit) and it did scrape a lot. I could avoid speed bumps and big driveways, but sometimes tight corners and a LITTLE bit of speed caused scaping in some places.

I liked the look, and stock ride hight, with the wheels and body kit would have looked weird, but I was annoyed by the scraping.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM

You are gonna scrape more with springs compared to coilovers.

Coilovers tend to have higher spring rates, so they are stiffer so the car doesn't move as much.

S2000 is pretty low to start, especially the subframes and the actual middle of the car.

If you do a moderate drop like the Espelir are, you should be fine. Just be careful over short tall speed bumps, don't wanna smash the middle.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 PM

If you're just doing it for looks (sadly most folks are) it's going to scrape. We do live in Chicago afterall.

All of my toys are/have always been lowered or very low from the factory. I drive them all in Chicago..... CAREFULLY.

Unless you're going with 18"s or 19"s and are worried about wheel gap, I'd bet money that the Honda factory engineers knew more about what they were doing than we do when we go shopping for the latest Import Tuner touted lowering "solutions".

(There isn't a ride-height problem with the car in the first place, it's more likely to be our lack of ability to extract the performance from the car that was already designed into it -- then again if this is all about looks my practicality argument goes out the window )
Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by midwesta,Dec 7 2008, 09:37 PM
You are gonna scrape more with springs compared to coilovers.

Coilovers tend to have higher spring rates, so they are stiffer so the car doesn't move as much.

S2000 is pretty low to start, especially the subframes and the actual middle of the car.

If you do a moderate drop like the Espelir are, you should be fine. Just be careful over short tall speed bumps, don't wanna smash the middle.
You are pretty low ... just seems like ud hit everything--- dude whats ur tire setup the rears look beefy as hell in that pic
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Anybody scrape their exhaust??? and all you scrapers- are you with a lip or w/o?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I never scraped the exaust itself, but the rear lower tie-bar was "tweaked"

I have heard of people scraping their exaust though, it depends on the design of the exhaust, as well as the EXACT drop you acheive with the springs, wheels, etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM

because i have a skunk2 catback

Quick Reply: Lowered in Chicago?