Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Lakehurst courthouse - Speeding ticket question

Old 05-31-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lakehurst courthouse - Speeding ticket question

Anyone from lake county, illinois go to this courthouse recently? I got a speeding ticket (officer did not have radar). He apparantly was following me from way back. He was driving an SUV. And to catch up to me, he had to go 90 mph, so he justified giving me a 90 in a 45 zone. Ouch. I thought that speeding capped out at 25 over. I got a "must appear in court" citation. I just want to get court supervision or traffic school. Any advice? thanks. -JohnE
Old 05-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Argue it. Say that he did not pace you at 90, he went 90 to CATCH up, big difference. Never admit that you were speeding. Just say that the car's lines make it look like it is going fast. Don't tell the DA what your case is, just tell him you intend to fight. When you get to question the officer, pin him down to the fact that he did not get you on radar and did NOT pace you at 90. Then ask him, "Since you did not pace me at 90, how could you write me a ticket for 90?" Ask him why he falsified a legal document? The judge should let you go if you handle it right. If you don't feel comfortable then get a layer to handle it for you, it's worth the money.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
Argue it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 AM

yeah, lawyer would be the best. Im sure I'm stating the obvious, but... be very nice and straight forward. Definately do not go in there angry, and try not to let the officer get under your skin. If you get angry, the judge tends to look in the officers direction. I think theres two really important things; Be honest, but do not offer up anything unless they ask. It's not lying if you dont say it, so structure your words very carefully. Stating the facts and Arguing are two different things. You dont want to sound accusing, so just stay calm. Oh, and when possible, direct your comments at the judge, not the officer, he's not the one deciding your fate.

god i sound like my mother...

Uh, how bout... dont piss em off man... yeah... thats better
Old 06-07-2004, 05:32 PM

Don't know how that court works, but here is an answer from someone who deals with this stuff daily here in Michigan (Court Administrator).

You are probably screwed. The officer will testify he "paced" you if that is what he wrote on the ticket. So, all the arguements the others offered you probably won't get you very far (not that they were bad suggestions). Depending on how bad your record is, I would approach the officer before the hearing and ask him if there was any chance he would ammend the ticket (to a lower speed), or recommend traffic school or whatever other type of "diversion" they used. Normally, anything above 20 mph over the limit needs to go before the judge to get "priced" (how much you are going to pay). Your goal should be to get it down rather than try to fight it. If you give me more details about your record and how the "stop" went (good or bad attitude) and what you really want to accomplish (save points, not have your insurance go up, or just save money) I might be able to give you more details on what to, or what not to say.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ace1947
Don't know how that court works, but here is an answer from someone who deals with this stuff daily here in Michigan (Court Administrator).
Old 06-20-2004, 05:02 AM

John E

Sorry man for not getting back to you sooner on this deal. I was out of town for a week and digging out ever since at work.

The officer has the right to ammend the ticket. So, even if he cannot prove you were going 45 over the limit, if you admit you were going 20 over the limit you could still get a citation for that too. Again, this is Michigan law. I am not sure how Illinois does it. Like I said before, I think you best bet is to cut your loses and aim for the lowest fine and points possible. I know that sounds like advice from one of those lazy lawyers, but hey, what do you want? I have worked with them and judges for over 25 years; something had to rub off on me.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ace1947
John E

Sorry man for not getting back to you sooner on this deal.