Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

KBAB Tech Day Sat March 27th

Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamanwill,Mar 22 2010, 06:07 AM
you need a tig welder to remove bolts you need heat

No, the CAT MIGHT be welded to either the exhaust or exhaust manifold as one piece, like how our exhaust cans were welded to the whole thing as a single unit. This has nothing to do of bolts are so rusted that they are "welded" in place. If this IS the case (the need to cut the cat off the old exhaust and weld it on to the new one) we would need a TIG welder. Plasma cutter would be useless.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The tig welder uses a separate filler rod. It is for finer work than an exhaust. Typically an exhaust would be welded back together with a mig.

That being said, I would be surprised if the cat is not replaceable.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM

^^ OK. I'm used to all the TIGs we have at work. I've only electrode welded before, and I hated it, so I never got into welding. But back to the issue at hand, I'd be surprised as well, but I know some cars have the CAT welded directly to either the manifold (the one that I've seen) or the exhaust, which raised this concern. I should know if both ends are flanged very soon. That'll save me a lot of extra work.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_636,Mar 15 2010, 08:18 AM
Anyone up for a group drive let me know. I'm planning to leave around 9:00 a.m. I don't have a meeting place yet since I haven't made any plans with others. I suppose the closes and easiest place to meet is at any oasis? Anyone interested just pm me, text or Blackberry message me. Cell(630)240-4000; PIN (2171AC2F)
Anyone going to meet up here before? Just curious and wanted to see what time everyone will meet up at.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Ill be there early....
Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM

I could do a 9:30 meetup at the lake forest oasis.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mountain-man,Mar 22 2010, 01:16 PM
^^ OK. I'm used to all the TIGs we have at work. I've only electrode welded before, and I hated it, so I never got into welding. But back to the issue at hand, I'd be surprised as well, but I know some cars have the CAT welded directly to either the manifold (the one that I've seen) or the exhaust, which raised this concern. I should know if both ends are flanged very soon. That'll save me a lot of extra work.
what kind of car is it?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Good news everyone, I got my back-home stuff sorted out so it can wait until I go home next weekend. This means I'll be in attendance, likely coming up early with a high chance of hangover.

List for the most part is accurate:
Aquatic: Most of all the food. Oil and maybe front lip done.
lemonjuice: pepsi products to drink
sw05s2k:[/b] I'll bring some money
-- Hard top headliner install. Possibly an SS wing as well, if it's not on the car by then.
ruexp67:
--I have some HID fog lights to install, and a bluetooth module. But I'll make sure all the S2000's get worked on first, and if I don't get to my car, no big deal.
patinum: $$$
Mountain-man+1: I'll bring the usual brats and "good stuff"
--re-install OEM rear sway-bar, install PWJDM intake, radiator plate, and plug cover, install hood struts. (will need help with the intake). NEED FENDERS ROLLED!
(M.M.'s+1 install intake, header and exhaust on a pontiac vibe...maybe...)
chazzguitar: Bake/clear headlights and taillights.
scrapdog: will bring cash
--OEM Softtop swap (if not done before) and hopefully headlight
Luder94: $$$ and some liquor
--Depending on which S2K, Radiator hoses, Intake elbow, and diffuser OR Amps and Speakers
m02pilot:
Chris S2K:
--SS brake lines & fluid
Zgradis: $$$ maybe some extra liquor
--Spark plugs(if someone has done it before or knows how to do it), maybe trans fluid, maybe diff fluid, check my O2 sensor, clutch bleed(if someone can help me), check and blow out air filter, and my oil (if anyone knows how to reset the internal counter for the oil change, so I can change it before the light comes on). Maybe other stuff I can't think of...
IS300STeeZ:I can bring whatever.
This sounds like fun, I am definitely in if it's nice out! And if I don't get around to it first, installing a Berk Test Pipe, maybe some fluids.
Blendo: Nothing to do on my own S, but I will fill my trunk with buckets, wash stuff, my full detailing kit, tools and another low down floor jack and pair of stands if needed. I can work with whomever wants anything from a coat of good carnuba wax to a compound/polish/seal/wax job! I know some of the black S's from the meet last weekend need thr swirls taken out!
IBMcpa: am a maybe for this. will bring $$, wine. can assist with cooking. need: rear dif fluid change, brake fluid flush & front pads swapped, maybe trans fluid change?
s2k_636: (tentative)Just wanna hang out and help whoever. I'll just give $$.
jas2k06: I'll bring $$$$
-- Need to install K&N FIPK intake(Thanks to Rock Bottom meet for helping me choose this intake)
jeggy +1-------diff fluid, oil change, valve adjustment, brake fluid change, rotate wheels, mulderize headlights, sharpen wiper blades, tighten muffler bearings,
sg_s2k: $$$
-- No car stuff
MrsCBLude: $ and CBLude and whatever you want us to bring???
s2k124 - $ and maybe spark plugs and detailing...but mostly to learn something new.
RAIN H8R: Bringing my knowledge and a special gift to all. Also doing 8 intake retainers
Rfd671: $$ if i could get my headlights thrown in with charlies that would be awesome! i also have a new soft top that i need to put on, but it sounds like its going to be a pretty busy day as it is, so i wont worry about that
knowledgeispower: will bring some tools/air compressor/$ for food. would like to do retainers/keepers.
K1ngfunK: $$ and frying abilities, rear control arm swap and rear sway bar adjustment if possible. s2k stuff gets priority.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM

anyone have a lil shin itshu grease they willing to share? i got an annoying squeek right around the hardtop latch by my ear and i wanna try some grease on the seal.

List for the most part is accurate:
Aquatic: Most of all the food. Oil and maybe front lip done.
lemonjuice: pepsi products to drink
sw05s2k:[/b] I'll bring some money
-- Hard top headliner install. Possibly an SS wing as well, if it's not on the car by then.
ruexp67:
--I have some HID fog lights to install, and a bluetooth module. But I'll make sure all the S2000's get worked on first, and if I don't get to my car, no big deal.
patinum: $$$
Mountain-man+1: I'll bring the usual brats and "good stuff"
--re-install OEM rear sway-bar, install PWJDM intake, radiator plate, and plug cover, install hood struts. (will need help with the intake). NEED FENDERS ROLLED!
(M.M.'s+1 install intake, header and exhaust on a pontiac vibe...maybe...)
chazzguitar: Bake/clear headlights and taillights.
scrapdog: will bring cash
--OEM Softtop swap (if not done before) and hopefully headlight
Luder94: $$$ and some liquor
--Depending on which S2K, Radiator hoses, Intake elbow, and diffuser OR Amps and Speakers
m02pilot:
Chris S2K:
--SS brake lines & fluid
Zgradis: $$$ maybe some extra liquor
--Spark plugs(if someone has done it before or knows how to do it), maybe trans fluid, maybe diff fluid, check my O2 sensor, clutch bleed(if someone can help me), check and blow out air filter, and my oil (if anyone knows how to reset the internal counter for the oil change, so I can change it before the light comes on). Maybe other stuff I can't think of...
IS300STeeZ:I can bring whatever.
This sounds like fun, I am definitely in if it's nice out! And if I don't get around to it first, installing a Berk Test Pipe, maybe some fluids.
Blendo: Nothing to do on my own S, but I will fill my trunk with buckets, wash stuff, my full detailing kit, tools and another low down floor jack and pair of stands if needed. I can work with whomever wants anything from a coat of good carnuba wax to a compound/polish/seal/wax job! I know some of the black S's from the meet last weekend need thr swirls taken out!
IBMcpa: am a maybe for this. will bring $$, wine. can assist with cooking. need: rear dif fluid change, brake fluid flush & front pads swapped, maybe trans fluid change?
s2k_636: (tentative)Just wanna hang out and help whoever. I'll just give $$.
jas2k06: I'll bring $$$$
-- Need to install K&N FIPK intake(Thanks to Rock Bottom meet for helping me choose this intake)
jeggy +1-------diff fluid, oil change, install front sway bar, valve adjustment, brake fluid change, rotate wheels, mulderize headlights, sharpen wiper blades, tighten muffler bearings, remove spring spacer.
sg_s2k: $$$
-- No car stuff
MrsCBLude: $ and CBLude and whatever you want us to bring???
s2k124 - $ and maybe spark plugs and detailing...but mostly to learn something new.
RAIN H8R: Bringing my knowledge and a special gift to all. Also doing 8 intake retainers
Rfd671: $$ if i could get my headlights thrown in with charlies that would be awesome! i also have a new soft top that i need to put on, but it sounds like its going to be a pretty busy day as it is, so i wont worry about that
knowledgeispower: will bring some tools/air compressor/$ for food. would like to do retainers/keepers.
K1ngfunK: $$ and frying abilities, rear control arm swap and rear sway bar adjustment if possible. s2k stuff gets priority.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zgradis,Mar 22 2010, 04:24 PM
I could do a 9:30 meetup at the lake forest oasis.
I like this idea...BTW...this is the one off of 94 right? Near the Vernon Hills area?

Quick Reply: KBAB Tech Day Sat March 27th