Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Karting Meet - Mon, Oct 3 / 7:30pm

Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Karting Meet - Mon, Oct 3 / 7:30pm

Hey guys,

I'm going to be out of town for the next three weeks or so, but to get my s2ki people fix before I leave, I'd like to go karting. Melrose Park Grand Prix has their Monday - Wednesday 3 race special - 3 races for $20 - pretty cheap compared to CIR. I'm thinking we kart a little bit then maybe get some food afterwards?

Date: Monday, Oct 3, 2011
Time: 7:30pm

2225 W. North ave
Melrose Park, IL 60160
708-343-RACE(7223)
http://www.mpgrandprix.com/

The List

aCab
Old 10-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Add me as of now. I'd really like to go. Just depends on if I can get some $$ by then.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:08 AM

you guys really need to take it out doors. 10 times better. I run my shifter kart here http://www.jetkarting.com/ and they rent the same karts but a much better course to run. One of the turns on this track you can pull 3g's in the turn. If not this season we should get a group together next year.

If you call over talk to Andy (owner) and ask for a group discount.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know there was a rental co. out there now.

This track has gone through numerous changes over the years, including some on and off shitty management of the track ownership.

This is the track I used to run my HPV (at the time the biggest class, and may likely still be), and yes it is way fun. You do indeed pull some great lateral g's through a couple corners, and the bowl is a blast. Don't expect 3 g's out of the 8hp 4-strokes, but it is still way more fun and realistic than the indoor stuff where the track is so short it's more like bumper cars than proper racing.

aCab, this track (formerly Norway Speedway, then Trane Motor Speedway, now I don't know who owns it or what they call it) is one of the first places I'd take you to or recommend you check out.

passnu2, it has been about 7 years since I've been out there racing. At the time it was almost all HPV (for the adults). TAG never took off and only 3-4 people ever ran shifters. What's the current situation like?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 AM

its mostly TAG karts, Andy is big on the TAG karts. They have some leagues still and may be the same from when you went in the past. I have only been there about 5 times total and picked up my Kart around a year ago. Wish I could get up there more then I have been able to. With the TAG karts, not rental, and shifter karts especially you can really pull some lager g's...Personally I like this better then CIR I just wish there were more places to ride that were closer. The 1 hour drive is what makes it hard to get out there. Going during the week if you can is the best so you pretty much have the track to yourself. Sunday can get crazy and I am sure Saturday is the same.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Man, its only an hour? Thats not bad considering the places I take the car. An hour is a short drive!

I picked Melrose Park because it's cheap and it's getting cold, so being indoors is a must for a meet.

I want to try my hand at the outdoor carts, so maybe we can set up a meet there soon, weather dependent.

Clark, if they are still running down in Norway when I get back near the end of the month, we should go down there and hang out. I'd love to know what the fields are like in all the classes so I can plan for next season over winter. Gotta love the much cheaper entry fees.

I talked to the president of the badger kart club up in Mikwaukee and he was giving me some good advice, at least for their club. Told me not to start in a TAG because they are way fast and instead start with a 100cc Yamaha. Any truth to that? I've got a feeling as the season comes to a close I can pick something up cheap and clean it up over winter.

Hope to see you guys Monday!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aCab,

Yeah, there's like 4 good tracks within a couple hours from here. For comparable to rent-a-ride like Melrose or CIK it may seem far and $$, but if you want to go club race with your own equipment well yeah a couple hour drive is nothing.

Off the top of my head nearest tracks are:

Dousman (that's Badger's track you menitoned) in Wisconsin,
The formerly Norway Speedway
Michiana Raceway (over near Michigan/Indiana border)
Sugar Grove near Rockford, IL. If they still exist. They catered more to kids & families though.

Also I know there's a kart track at Road America, though that's a bit far, and there's one at the Joliet Autobahn but I don't know how they use it (members only?).

Also regional series like WKA run around a bunch of tracks including car tracks like Gingerman, Blackhawk Farms, etc.

I don't agree with what you were told by the Badger guy. You CAN pick up a Yamaha for way cheaper to start so it may be less of an up-front commitment. Knowing you, you are not somebody who doesn't have to worry about not handling a faster kart. He's referring more to the phenomenon of a guy who goes and buys the biggest shifter he can, scares himself shitless and sells it for pennies. The TAG's really aren't that much faster than the Yamaha's or HPV/KPV anyway depending on class.

I think the top Yamaha's were around 18 horsepower, a blueprinted HPV is good for 21-23 and TAGs are somewhere around mid 20's (if I remember). We should talk, I have 2 HPV setups in need of cleanup (if only the time) in various states of 'needing cleanup' plus a bunch of misc. stuff.

When I was running, the TAG class was empty so no fun. But great potential as I liked the self starting and sealed-motor nature of the series. HPV had the biggest fields. It was that, and it being more 'spec like' (no clutch or exhaust pipe tuning allowed) so I could learn to drive the kart and less about setting clutches and pipes.

I don't recommend going shifter straight away. Too much to learn all at once. Still though, the most important thing is to find a popular class so you have someone to race.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 AM

How long are planning on staying? I have my volleyball league today at 6:45 in Skokie. I probably won't be out until 7:30- 7:45 and it'll take me about 45 min to get down there.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Ill go against the masses and suggest you get a shifter kart. I was told to get a TAG myself and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I may sell my Kart since I dont have the time to ride it with family but if your going to invest do it right the first time or you will be buying a new one the following season. I wish I had invested time and found out about this years ago when life would have allowed me to enjoy it more.

From my understanding the track at Autobahn & Road America are the places to check out. If I keep mine I hope a few of you will join us next season for a few days.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by z_speed
How long are planning on staying? I have my volleyball league today at 6:45 in Skokie. I probably won't be out until 7:30- 7:45 and it'll take me about 45 min to get down there.
I was planning on doing 6 races total, but do need to get home at a fairly decent hour to start my long week. I figure I'll be leaving the kart place by 9 or so. If nobody shows, I won't be getting food.

Quick Reply: Karting Meet - Mon, Oct 3 / 7:30pm