Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

I might be re-locating to Illinois

Old 03-05-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a Holiday Inn, in Itasca, right off of Irving Park, and Rohlwing. I was there a few nights ago. Just take Rohlwing straight down to Woodfield. I believe that'll be faster then the highway.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take a look at naperville more closely while you here. It'll cut your commute time significantly if you live close to I-88. The neighborhood is nice and safe not to mention the school district is one of the top in the nation.

You probably have to downsize your garage size requirement to 2 car though to get a house in within your budget in naperville.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:58 PM

I drove out to Genoa today, when I went I took I290 to I90 West - Took me about an hour to get to the town, that was no traffic.

On the way back I took farm roads to another route north then 2 miles up was I90 and a lot of Outlet Shops. That was way faster, about 40 minutes to I290 South from Genoa. My worry is the farm roads may not be maintained in the winter?

I liked Genoa A LOT! Small town living which is what I like. The town had everything me and my family would need on a regualr basis. It's also not very far from the huge mall off of I90 if its a once a month type deal.

It also had my dream home. 2500 Square feet and thats not including the basement or garage, its a nice BRAND SPANKING NEW home for under $250,000.

I want to make it wrk badly, is there anything comparable closer to Hoffman area?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out http://www.chicagotribune.com for home listings. Their search features are very good. Also check out http://www.inest.com they list all the new home builders in the area, and if you go through them to find the builder you can get a discount on the house.

Genoa is pretty far out there, I drove out there last weekend when I got the car out of storage, just because I like the back roads out that way.

Something to keep in mind. Basements are almost a given in this area. Code requires footings to 42" to get below the frost line. So it requires heavy machinery anyway, an extra 3' beyond that is no big deal. There are houses on slabs, or with only crawlspaces under the house, but most of the housing in the area has basements.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:12 AM

Honestly, you wont find anything even close to that in the hoffman/schaumburg area. Most of the houses here are reallllllyyy old and cost a crap load of money. My family had one of the bigger and newer houses which went up about 10 years ago, lets say they made a boat load when they sold it. If i were you and i wanted to stay close to EVERYTHING, i would check out streamwood. It is the most highly appraised area in the state, there is very minimal new construction but the houses are fairly new 5-10 years old. Also most of those houses should fall right in your price range. This way, your close to the mall, the highway, and most of the s2k meets.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

You'd be hard-pressed to find what he's looking for in the $250K range in Streamwood.

My buddy is selling his 3 yr. new home with 3 bdrm, 2 car garage, full unfinished basement, and a smaller corner lot right behind Streamwood H.S.; asking price is $359,000; appraised price from last summer is $325,000.

It's a great house...but you have to be able to stand high noise polloution, high light polltuion (especially during H.S. football games), and an average school system.

You might as well look either due south of Streamwood, or just due west of it (not more than 5 more miles away). There's Bartlett, Elgin, Algonquin, and certain areas of Carpentersville.

Shawn, if you want to talk more about areas, you can give me a call. In fact, if you want to get together for dinner/ home-cooked meal tonight, we can talk further in person.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Hmm thats interesting cuz, just last month i saw a home in Streamwood right off of RT 59 and Schaumburg Rd. 4 bedrooms, 2 car garage, full basement, on a cul de sac, 9 years old for 289,000. In a subdivision called Little Creek.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:00 PM

It's official, see you guys in mid May w/ my car
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Mid May? That's excellent. Have you found a house or are you coming and getting put up in corporate housing?

Are you driving out here with your car?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:37 AM

I need to find a house or town home to rent, I must have a garage.

I am coming back April 12th - 18th to find a place to rent so I can settle in, then I'll be buying a home. Staying at the Wyndham again

As for my...... cars, motorcycle, boat, sea doo - All are going to get get sold except my S2000 and the Explorer. I may bring my bike I dont know. Kinda sucks to have to sell it, but I want to move there with as little baggage as possible.

I'm probably going to rent a U-Haul and tow the explorer. My wife is gonna follow me in the S2000 (Actually she will probably end up driving the U-Haul most of the way ) Hmm cross country trip in the Honda, I always wanted to do that.

I still might have the S2000 shipped depending on the cost involved.

Oh yeah, I think someone on this board will be selling some furniture to me soon

Quick Reply: I might be re-locating to Illinois